We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Hi there,

My wife and I arrive in Tulum on Monday for a 1 week vacation.

We're staying in a nice hotel at km 7 on the beach road. It has air con but no in-room fridge.

Should we be picking up an ice bucket / our own stash of bottled water / refrescos / cervezas for our beach time? If so where can we get this?

I've read a red-torch is handy for night time as there are turtles on the beach-again where might we get this?

Is it easy to get around the bars/restaurants at night? Are taxis best/inexpensive?

If there is anything else anyone recommends to make our trip run more smoothly / more memorable please let me know.

Thanks guys!

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

There's a San Francisco de Asis supermarket in Tulum at the intersection of highways 307 (from Playa del Carmen) and 109 (from Coba). You should be able to pick up a cheap cooler and drinks for the beach there. I don't know if your hotel supplies ice (there's a good chance it does), ice buckets (probably depends upon whether they supply ice), or drinking water (it almost certainly does). It's possible that if you were to name your hotel, someone could give you specifics.

Lights (and batteries) are fairly expensive in Mexico. When we go on turtle excursions we buy LED head lights (with both red and white LED's) at home and give them to the biologists at the end. Dunno about Ireland, but nice inexpensive LED lights are available at discount shops or over the internet in the US. That's something worth taking with you.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Thanks Mark, that's very helpful

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Water is a must. I'm sure your resort will have some but not nearly enough for what you'll need in the summer months. With a ton of drinks having a large supply of water is nice to not have a hangover.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Water or juice in tetra packs are a great idea from San Francisco or the Chedraui , rhymes with Maui . Some apples and oranges and potato chips in a tube and maybe a few bottles of wine etc . Most shuttles will stop for you but there may be a charge for this . There are ATM's at or near either store for best and easiest money supply .

In the Pueblo try either Los Aguachiles or El Camello for a seafood lunch a few buildings down . Have the cab drop you down that way , the south end of the town and walk back as far as you like through the town that he's just shown you the extent of . A few blocks back through the town you will find a Mexican standard ice cream parlour , La Michoacana with a nice backyard garden to have a cool dessert or a coco frio , fresh coconut , both the water and then the soft flesh . That same day or another take a cab to the Gran(d) Cenote and stop again at a grocery store on the way back to the beach if you need things . These stores are open late for shopping after a normal early supper too . Enjoy

Since you are on the beach road you can enter the ruins after a cab ride to the north end of the beach road . I would hit a beach club up there with a short walk to some others after seeing the ruins . Zazil Kin is an inexpensive place to start . You'll see it on your way to the ruins back entry .

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

"I'm sure your resort will have some but not nearly enough "

How on earth would we know that, especially when we don't even know what hotel?

Lots of places have 20-liter carboys of filtered water placed throughout the hotel or resort so one can fill pitchers or bottles from them. Before I stopped staying in hotels, most of the places I stayed provided ample water, whether bottled or from a jug, for use both in the room and while out and about.

I'm far from a Tulum expert, so mentioned San Francisco because I've personally been there. If given a choice between that and a Chedraui, I'd almost certainly opt for the Chedraui.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

I recommend you check with your hotel about whether they provide drinking (purified) water. I was very disappointed that only 2 liters per day were provided at La Nueva Vida de Ramiro where I was in a high-end beach front room. It was a royal pain hauling our own water into the room.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Perhaps sending an email to the hotel with your concerns and questions will help. Many offer purified water and ice, and will help with other issues, too. Have fun!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

Thanks everyone for your great tips!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

If you can't find a red-light flashlight in time, wrapping your white-light flashlight in red cellophane or saran wrap will help a lot.

And yes, you didn't mention the hotel by name--some of the hotels with a/c have large jugs of water in the rooms, some don't.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,420 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum-any pre arrival / survival tips??

"We're staying in a nice hotel at km 7 on the beach road. It has air con but no in-room fridge."

Is this Cabanas Tulum/The Beach by chance? I know that this is Monday, so if everything has gone well, you will be arriving today - but if you are at Cabanas Tulum, please report back about the situation there. News has just come out that the place was shut down by a government environmental protection agency.