We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini trip report

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mini trip report

Had a great time last week in Tulum, not ready to be home yet! Stayed 5 nights at Coco then two nights at Ahau, great way to balance the budget and I love both properties. Saw tons of mama turtles--a dozen on one night alone when I walked from La Zebra back to Coco, that was crazy!

Had some great food, too. After a sort of so-so food trip last time, I was really happy to have so many "OMG" moments in that first bite (come on, you know what I mean!). Restaurants shift and change all the time, so your mileage may vary, but I wish I could go back tomorrow so I could eat all of these again: Top piece of fish was at Simple--a white bass (can't remember the Spanish name, something with a 'c' and it's from the Sea of Cortez) grilled by the owner. Wow, perfect. Best sauce: the diabla at Ahau--I had mahi mahi diablo (diabla?) and I was worried it would be too hot but Chef Roberto assured me otherwise so I went for it. What fantastic flavor, a little heat but you could taste each of the ingredients all melded together. Outstanding meal overall (he does a mean tuna tartare as well).

Favorite breakfast is Eggs Ahau, especially with a side of their excellent goat cheese. Followed by the green chilaquiles at Playa Azul, which they also serve with goat cheese (I'm really not a goat cheese fetishist, this is a coincidence). Favorite lunch is the steak nachos at La Luna (Restaurant Las Estrellas at La Luna), with a few more margaritas than strictly necessary since La Luna makes some of the best. I never eat nachos here in the US (or anywhere else in Mexico, for that matter), but these are a must-have every trip.

I also loved the shrimp tacos at Om, the goat-cheese-stuffed piquillo peppers at Om (what is it with goat cheese?), the shrimp tacos at Ahau (actually, the pineapple salsa thing that came with them), and the pizza at Juanita Diavola (the new roadside restaurant at Coco). Had a great pasta carbonara at Zamas and they have a new margarita there called Izzy's Margarita. It has both tequila and mescal and is served without salt (I don't like sal on my margs anyway) and it's large and powerful but not over the top. I really liked it. Lalo, the manager, told me it was a recipe they got from one of the visiting chefs they've had coming in from time to time. I think it was 110 pesos but well worth it IMO.

Another great drink was at Simple, a guava (guayaba) margarita, served with a sprinkling of Tajin on top (a salt/chile/lime spice mix that I love anyway). And definitely try the owner's family's tequila--I'm not usually a big fan of straight tequila but this stuff is pretty darned good--next time I'm going to buy a bottle and bring it home.

OK, that just turned into a food report, but I really didn't do much more than enjoy my rooms and walk up and down the beach visiting friends and eating! :-)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mini trip report

Sounds delicious, BR. You are lucky to get to have more adult meals. We always have to consider our 10 yr old when eating out...but there are some good choices still...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mini trip report

Yummy! Where is Simple?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mini trip report

Simple is right across the street from Luv and Casa Violeta, almost right next to Las Palmas Maya on the jungle side of the road. It's an open-air entrance but you can see the fish case from the entrance (I think).

And Pepper, I'm sure they would make quesadillas or something like that if your boy doesn't like seafood. And how is he not a foodie yet with you guys as parents? :-)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mini trip report

We found something for him just about everywhere except Encantada where he had some sort of chicken dish for...eh-hem...200 pesos!!! For some reason they couldn't make him something simple with a simple price. But I was happy to eat there. Loved the food!!!

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
201 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mini trip report

Great trip report, beachreader. Makes me want to go back to Tulum! Oh, and I share you're love for Eggs Ahau, the best breakfast dish I had on our trip in May. Actually, I loved all the food I tried at Ahau, that place has a great restaurant. We also had dinner at Juanita Diavola, but we preffer the pizza at OM. Oh, and the octopus tacos at OM are fantastic.... I could go on for hours about food in Tulum :) I really need to start figuiring out when we can go back...!!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mini trip report

Octopus tacos? I'll have to try those sometime. I think Roby at Ahau does the overall best octopus around, but I'll have to try Christian's down at Om too.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mini trip report

You know, I was just thinking about the food I had this trip and how good it all was, and how sad I am that I can't just go visit those restaurants all the time right here at home. In fact, choosing my meals has become the most stressful part of my Tulum trips, because I know it's the only time I'll get to eat there, and I can only have one dish. That's why it's way better to eat with a small group so you can taste a whole bunch of things!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mini trip report

That's one of the things that brings us back to Tulum over and over again - the food. The quality and variety is fantastic for the price...though expensive for Mexico. When you start looking at other beach locations and food prices; Tulum still has them all beat.

Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mini trip report

Pepper and Beachreader, So agree with all of the food posts/ opinions. My very favorite part of Tulum. The food. Well, beach, cocktail.. Food.

Sorta been checking in here lately as might have a November trip. Always like new food ideas and you kids have never let me down. Fingers crossed!! NVR for birthday!!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mini trip report

Oh! You are so going, Agaveneat!!