We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location advice

London
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
location advice

Earlier this year we stayed a couple of weeks in Holbox Island. Absolutely loved it, love quintana roos, love the cuisine, love the climate.

So looking at our holiday for early next year Tulum comes up on the radar. Similar area, seems quite chilled but also gives us the option of visiting cenotes and ruins without the hassle of getting off a small island first.

We were looking at The Beach [hotel] ( http://www.thebeach-tulum.com/ ), and although we like the peace and quiet of not a lot around, a quick look on google maps really does appear to put this out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around but similarly placed small hotels. Is this the case? We love exploring in the evenings on foot to go find somewhere weird and interesting to eat or some small beach shack to drinks and snacks.

Would be be a bit restricted in this location for our options? And does that also mean eating basically at similar small hotels which would mean paying hotel prices for food rather than the few dollars a meal we could pay on Holbox?

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location advice

There are many hotels/restaurants along the beach (and across road from beach). If you prefer quiet, you may want to look at a hotel further south.

"small beach shack" - unfortunately these casual, inexpensive types of food options really do not exist along Tulum beach...all the little taco stands exist in the town of Tulum where good, cheap food can be easily found ($12-$20 return cab ride from the beach) there are some reasonably priced spots along the beach but prices are really more in the mid-high end.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 18:18
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location advice

We stayed on Holbox once and enjoyed how easy it was to walk from the hotel zone into to town to eat at local restaurants. I don't recall it being particularly inexpensive, though, at the local restaurants.

But yes, the hotel zone in Tulum mostly has similar type hotels and restaurants. I find the quality of food to be great, but it is pricey. The pueblo, where cheaper eats exist, is a cab ride away...anywhere from 100-150 pesos each way.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location advice

We had the same experience with eating along Tulum beach as pepper - universally good food, but it wasn't cheap. We spent more on food in Tulum than anywhere else on our trip (Merida, Valladolid, Uxmal/Ruta Puuc area), but when compared with restaurant prices along the CA coast (where we were from) it was still a bargain. Our most expensive dinners along Tulum beach were about US$50 for 2, including a couple beers or glasses of wine.

London
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location advice

ta for the info all :)

@pepper we found holbox had a wide range of prices to eat at. sure we ate at a couple of places which were uk prices (i guess $70-80 USD?), but we were easily able to find mid range stuff for around $30-$40, but then also we ate at a few places which were 2 or 300 peso's and not to mention picking up some street food here or there during the day for even less or being given bar snacks while you drank your pacifico beer on the beach.

if you avoided the many italian restaurants you could get some really good tasty value food (some pointing and luck is also involved if you don't speak spanish). but most of all it was great just to walk out barefoot around the town and find all these places in easy distance.

i was hoping tulum would be similar i suppose :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location advice

I also loved the whole town/beach thing on Holbox, and there was a 'beach shack" fish place near our hotel on Holbox that was great. The food was my favorite thing about Holbox, and all the great fish everywhere all the time. Tulum is a lot prettier than Holbox IMHO, the water is bluer, the sand is whiter and cleaner, the beach is wider and there are fewer rocks, but when there are rocks, they're big, scenic rocky outcroppings. Hotels are more expensive in Tulum, and the beach restaurants are also. So it's kind of a choice, they're not really similar at all. Tulum is more accessible from the airport for sure.

You may enjoy Isla Holbox, it has that town/coast access, but I just realized you were looking for something not on an island so you can get around more easily, sorry.

London
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: location advice

no, interesting info thanks. that holbox is so small is one of the great advantages of it; as you say it has that aspect of the "town" (if you can call it that) being directly on the beach without actually spoiling it and still being incredibly quiet. also if you stay outside of the "town", everywhere is still only a few minutes walk to get somewhere.

it's a hard decision for us :) i'm starting to side back to holbox though. maybe i'll just grab a few nights in tulum, and then transfer up north to holbox for the rest of my stay. that many transfers (cancun, tulum, holbox, cancun) look quite expensive though, and i don't really fancy the hassle of the buses.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: location advice

We did Holbox and Tulum in our trip, and it really worked pretty well. There were three of us to share the cost, though, so that was nice. We went from the airport to Holbox with a driver recommended by someone on the Holbox board--he was much cheaper than others and was really great. Amazingly enough, I just found his card in a pile of Mexico stuff on my desk. His name is Eduardo, e-mail is garciagrimaldo@hotmail.com. Back in Dec. 11, it was $95 US one-way. You may already have a favorite way to get fro CUN to Holbox, just found it so I figured I'd share. I think it was about 3 hours to the ferry.

Then, from Holbox to Tulum, we asked at out hotel (we were staying at Casa de las Tortugas), and the gal at the desk called a guy she knew and off we went. I honestly can't remember how much it cost and can't find my records, but it probably wasn't much more than $100 and the driver was great. We got down there in about 2.5 hours taking the inland road straight down and then meeting up with the Coba Rd. to Tulum.

I thought it was a very workable two-stage trip; I think we spent 3 nights on Holbox and another five in Tulum, you could certainly flip that and enjoy figuring out if Tulum is for you. I'd love to go back to Holbox one of these days, but I'm kind of addicted to the 1.5 hour trip from the airport and the blue water.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: location advice

I'll ask my friends if either of them remembers the cost on the Holbox/Tulum leg, but it was almost two years ago now, so I don't know. $100 feels right, though, and then we tipped him extra because he complained that we had him take us out to the beach and not just to Tulum pueblo.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 16:00
London
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: location advice

looks to be about a 3-4 hour drive to Chiquilá (for the ferry to holbox) ... but at $100 (for a car to take two persons i assume) that wouldn't be so bad.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: location advice

Yes, we thought it would be over 3 hours, but it turned out to be less, and I didn't think my driver was driving crazy, AND we stopped twice for the bathroom. I would plan on 3 if the guy knows what he's doing. We got to La Zebra in time for lunch, and considering that we'd had a leisurely breakfast on Holbox and then took the ferry across, it was actually a pleasant enough morning and we didn't feel like we missed much.