We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pemex in Tulum

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Pemex in Tulum

The Pemex in Tulum (across from the Chedraui) seems to be a "scam free" location. They actually go out of their way to point out the Zeroed pump and to confirm your payment. It seems as though that they are aware of the scams at other Pemex locations (in Tulum and other areas) and want to avoid getting a bad reputation. Just make sure that you get out of the car and apply common sense tactics and you will have no problem at this Pemex location. It is also the only Pemex location where the workers seem to understand/know English and want to have a quick conversation with you. This location also takes credit cards.

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
58 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pemex in Tulum

We'll be in Tulum next week so this is great information. Thanks for sharing it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pemex in Tulum

You can check out my reviews in the next few days on all of the restaurants we went too, or send me a message with more questions.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pemex in Tulum

Same good experience at the Pemex just north of the Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace, north of Playa del Carmen, on the way back to the airport. They pointed to zero tank, gas cap returned securely, windows washed, friendly service. Filled up & the needle barely moved by the time we returned the rental car.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,442 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pemex in Tulum

Pemex has been under pressure from government agencies to clean up their act. It seems to be working in some areas, for now. The fact most are franchises makes things more difficult so lets up whatever they are doing keeps working.

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,036 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pemex in Tulum

a few months ago they where scamming . i put it on my blog with evidence too [they wrote amount in biosphere dirt on side of car ! tried to overcharge by 100 .

young guy dark hair a bit spiked up , he was in a double act with a round faced guy similar age .

<juiced up the car for the drive tomorrow and returning car at cancun airport . pemex tried to rip us , got 15 litres @ 163 total , then asked for 5 more @ 54 , so he reset meter in between … i knew there was a scam coming . 2 of them started talking in a suspicious manner . i didnt know the spanish amount he asked so he wrote it on the side of biosphere dust on the car – he asked for $317 . i said why $317 ? he said 263 plus 54 = 317 . i said no , corrected his working out to 163 then 54 . he disputed it for 10 seconds till i told him and his urchin buddy to Fxxx xxF , then he said ok sorry yes its $217 . its the young scally with the spiky hair . dirty rotters from the pemex on the downtown link rd to the beach by the police station . id used it 3 times previous without issue but this time was a bad scam .

you can see $263 changed to $163 on window , and TOTAL $31x changed to $21x on door .>

…wordpress.com/2013/04/dscf5976.jpg

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,958 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pemex in Tulum

When we got shortchanged at the Pemex station in Tulum, they appeared to be doing everything on the up-and-up - showed me the zeroed pump reading, etc. I believe is why I let my guard down and they were then able to steal - it looked like they were actually doing things buy the book. Classic approach.

I don't think anyone at a Pemex station cares about getting a bad reputation - just that some are responding to government pressure to clean up their act - or at least give the appearance of it.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pemex in Tulum

The Pemex across from the Chedraui in Tulum is the only place in Mexico, Belize or Guatemala that scammed us. We were there in mid July 2013. I had read about all of the scams, so I thought I could outsmart them. I had two 200-peso notes and told them to put in 400 pesos. I got out of the car and stood next to him. I saw him zero it, but it stopped at 380. I don't know whether it was full or not. I gave him the 400 pesos, and in the flash of an eye (David Copperfield would be proud) the attendant had a 200 and a 20 in his hand and told me that I owed him another 160 pesos. I told him that I knew that it was a scam and said I wasn't paying anything more, and I got in the car. He came to the window looking all innocent saying that he was only trying to give me my 20 pesos in change.

So watch out wherever you tank up, especially in tourist places like Tulum.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pemex in Tulum

This is a disgrace to read so many rip off posts only to be ripped off for $500 pesos. Again Pemex in Tulum. It gets exhausting always being suspicious! And when you are spending $7,000 to vacation for a family of 4 for a week I think I will take my money elsewhere! Sorry Mexico. Sorry Rivera Miya clean up your government. All the resources in the world for beautiful destination and you have to worry about gas stations. See you in Hawaii

9. Re: Pemex in Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 07:13
10. Re: Pemex in Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 14:25