We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

London
Level Contributor
99 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

My husband and I are thinking about spending a week in the Yucatan mid Oct. He works for an airline so we can fly out to Cancun easily.

Our problem is that we've travelled a lot, and can't find exactly what we want - fussy, I know! We've stayed in Merida, Cancun and Playa Del Carmen on a holiday 15 years ago, and know it's probably changed a lot. We also spent a lovely week down in Bacalar last year.

We're thinking primarily of Tulum - but would consider ANYWHERE within 4 hours drive or so of Cancun. I keep researching boutique hotels - but wondered if anyone on this forum has direct experience of the area and can either recommend a hidden gem, or reconfirm good views on somewhere popular.

In no particular order, we would preferably like: kid-free (or at least as few as possible); on the beach, really comfy rooms/showers, good food either at the accom or nearby; quiet/peaceful, but with a good bar where we can sit out in the evening and watch the sun go down!

We're more than happy with eco-friendliness, but have gone beyond the age of hammocks and a fan! It's been a really busy period for work and we're looking to relax, with a bit of luxury.

We'd rather not be in a huge hotel - hubby stays regularly in them for work. We don't need night clubs/live music/activities/6 restaurants on site - but we have a good budget, so cost per night isn't too much of a problem; but we don't want to be paying for 'style over substance'!

Considered everything from BeTulum, Coqui Coqui, Casa Sandra (Holbox), hacienda's near Merida, Isla's mujeres etc. Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Bacalar
Bacalar
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

The Beloved Hotel in Playa Mujeres may suit you. I have a review from Feb. 2012, and then you can look at their website and other reviews and posts in the Playa Mujeres forum. It is all inclusive, and not adult's only, but it does not cater to children. You won't see many at that time of year anyway.

It is only 30 min. north of the airport and only two other resorts are in this area. It is very quiet, great place to relax and reconnect with your loved one. Various categories of rooms, but they all have a full bar, in room jacuzzi, very nice toiletries, excellent housekeeping, 24 hour room service.....

If you stay 7 days or more, you will get a pass to dine at their AO resort next door.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

Can you clarify if you think you'll be most comfortable with a/c?

If you can forgo a/c, my first pick in Tulum would be Encantada.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
London
Level Contributor
99 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

If it's the right place, we can forego aircon. Fans and cooling breezes work wonders!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

And if you'd like air-con, my pick would be Ahau Tulum. Both Encantada and Ahau have excellent food and great stretches of beach with luxurious accomodations that don't make you feel like you're in some commercial mini-version of a Playa del Carmen hotel.

Ahau only has air-con in their lower-level rooms, the upper levels have soaring palapa ceilings that I feel allow for plenty of air circulation (I stayed in an upper in July '12 and it was plenty breezy for me). Encantada is smaller and more intimate, a 100% non-smoking property (Ahau is non-smoking in the restaurant and rooms only as far as I can tell).

Also look at Cabanas La Luna and The Beach/Cabanas Tulum.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

Oh, and also look at Nueva Vida de Ramiro. They include very nice continental breakfasts and are in a great location (Cabanas La Luna does as well, The Beach/Cabanas Tulum offer full breakfast included).

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,966 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

We had similar criteria as you and stayed at Cabanas Tulum - we were quite happy with this choice.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
7. Re: Finding the right place to stay in the Yucatan in Oct!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:19