We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Charleston, South...
9 posts
Save Topic
Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

I am looking for recommendations on the best taco cart or street food in Tulum. Would love to find a place with fresh flour tortillas.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Good luck with the flour part. I've never seen 'em in Mexico, and understand they're only common in northern Mexico.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

This is the land of the corn tortilla.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,118 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Flour tortillas are more comman than you may think.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

You may find flour at the Antojitos places or the tortilla shops yes BUT street cart? No.

Taqueria Honorio is my favorite - open 6am - 11amish closed Mondays. Satelite Sur at Calle Sol (across the street from La Parrilla de Chava

and Taqueria El Paisa)

Tulum, Quintana...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

I agree with honorio. 1 of my favorites also. DON TACO is also great as is the palapita yucateco at the end of town.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,525 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

I have also never seen them on a taco cart in the area. But a few restaurants in Cozumel do give you the option. And had a restaurant owner friend in Merida tell me the Soriana groceries sometimes make them and have them for sale.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Flour tortillas are from the north of Mexico where the Spaniards introduced large wheat farms. Corn is the original...dating back thousands of years. Also...for a long time the government subsidized the price of corn as it is a major staple for most families. That ended in 1999 but corn tortillas are still cheaper than flour so the vendors tend to stick with them. You are more apt to find flour tortillas at a restaurant at home.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,525 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Maybe true . Thanks for another history lesson.

However, I often find them in restaurants in this area with no problem. They may be from the north of Mexico but it is not the only place to find them.

9. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 07:07
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Street Taco Cart - Looking for flour tortillas

Yes, you can find them and buy them at stores or find them in restaurants, however, Corn is King-just another view:

…thinkquest.org/C005446/…maya.html

Look to any art and corn is prominent.

I happen to like both.