We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a trip, first-timers

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
centralpennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a trip, first-timers

My husband and I are considering a trip to Tulum in late February. We've never been before, not to Mexico or to Tulum. We love going to the Caribbean, but our trips to the Caribbean are not the all-inclusive resort kind. We like to be able to drive around, explore, find a relatively deserted stretch of beautiful beach and just chill out. We aren't into much of a night life, as we like to spend most of the daylight hours soaking up the sun. We aren't go,go,go on our vacations, quite the opposite. And, we aren't fans of big crowds. I'd love to hear your opinions about whether you think a trip to Tulum seems like a good match for us, as well as any insight you can give about travelling there. Very important to us as well, is the issue of safety. Do you feel safe there? Since we like to blaze our own path, we want to be comfortable doing so. Thanks for your help!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

I think that Tulum sounds like the perfect match for you. Tulum has many small, intimate, eco friendly hotels as well a beautiful beach. It is also safe.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

Tulum might be a good fit for you. But...I think Sian Kaan might be a better fit along with a stay at Xamach Dos. It's remote. We popped in one day and had a great time hiking into their jungle area and checking out the unexcavated ruins. Great snorkeling in their bay.

http://www.xamachdos.com/

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

If you want to rent villas / casitas with a kitchen, also try Solomon and Tankay Bay

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
723 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

I second Vancouversundog on Soliman and Tankah. Have a look at Nah Uxibal: http://nahuxibalvacationrentals.com/

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

As others have said, Tulum is very laid back and a bit bohemian. We also spend most of our days just hanging out on the beach. I'm not a go-go-go person on vacation either. We enjoy the Sian Ka'an and stay in a private home which means we have the beach almost literally to ourselves. We aren't nightlife people, but we do enjoy going out for dinner. We usually cook all our other meals at the house.

I have never felt ill at ease safety-wise in Mexico. It hasn't felt any different to me in that regard from anyplace I've been here at home. That said, using common sense, following the rules of the road and listening to your gut intuition if something doesn't feel right are always good ideas - regardless of the locale.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

Sorry, should have also added...notice that you are planning your trip for February. That is high-season so something in the Sian Ka'an may be even more attractive to you since the ratio of people to beach is so low there. Not that the eco-hotels on Tulum beach are roudy places by any stretch. My experience is that Tulum is pretty laid back regardless of where you stay, but the area north of the arch could be a bit more congested than the Sian Ka'an would be at that time of year. Something to consider, but by no means anything that should stop you from coming.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

Agree to all of the above, especially in that Tulum sounds perfect for you.

What kind of budget are you looking at per night? That will really help us make some suggestions that would fit your needs.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

And on the safety thing, I have gone to Tulum frequently as a solo woman traveler and have always felt safe and welcome. Obviously, as mentioned above, you need to pay attention to your gut and I wouldn't go walking around the back streets of the pueblo in the middle of the night with a big diamond necklace or something, but you sound smarter than that. :-)

centralpennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

Wow, thanks for the great information! Staying in Sian Ka'an seems like it might be a good choice for us. Those who have stayed there, do you usually rent a car and drive from the airport? Do you need an SUV to navigate the road? I've read that it isn't paved? Is it relatively easy to go out for dinner or something? We don't want to do much, but like to have options! As for our budget, we'd like to stay around or below $200/night.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering a trip, first-timers

It's best to rent a vehicle with high clearance like a SUV.

There isn't much around, though, for going out to dinner. Take a look at this aerial tour and you see there is nothing around...http://locogringo.com/maps/tour/p1010252a-t.html

If you want to go out to dinner, etc - then it might be better for you to stay in Tulum. You could stay at the south end of the beach zone at Rancho San Eric. There are a couple of studios in your price range. http://ranchosaneric.com/