We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

We are looking for reasonable, reliable, round trip transportation in December, preferably not a shuttle, as we don't arrive until around 4 PM and would like to get to our hotel at the earliest after travelling all day. Is it best to pre-book? what about pre-payment? Thanks for your advice/replies.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

WOW, so many of these recent posts about airport transportation

Thus the EXPERTS have posted some great FAQs over in Top Questions

As you are from Canada, two transfer companies accept Canadian $ at par with US$ (in mexico - so silly)

Canada Transfers or USA Transfers

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

We used USATranfers, book it online. Everything went great. Same trip you are looking at took us about 45 minutes instead of 2 hours on a bus.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

45 minutes would be literally flying, not driving. It's about an hour and a half from CUN to the Tulum beach zone, maybe a bit less if there's no traffic around Playa. 45 would get you to Playa del Carmen.

London
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

Can i ask a possibly daft question :

Are USA transfers and Canada transfers just marketing names to make feel people comfortable or are do they actually restrict their business to the respective countries in their names.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

Chunkylover , You can ride on the Canada Transfers line . You ARE asking a really daft question but you do so very politely so you can ride on Canada Transfers if you like . A perk I've read about is Canada Transfers offering cold beer and beverages for a low price on the way . Some others will stop at an Oxxo or 7-11 to allow you to buy beer for yourselves .

Canuckcowboy , a PRIVATE transfer (shuttle) will be your fastest route to Tulum of any method even driving yourself . Tulum is at the end of the line with SHARED shuttles and more likely to have many stops but people have had varied results .

I wouldn't book any service besides the primary one , like air from an airline or air and lodging from Expedia or similar places . I would never add the rental car or tour packages or transfer services , preferring to to do this separately , after research for best pricing and best information and after direct communication with the provider .

Edited: 10 October 2013, 17:05
canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

Yes, we are from Canada. Looking for company names/phone numbers/websites to arrange private, direct transport. Thanks.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

Google is your friend. USA Transfers and Canada Transfers. There's another service at Playa.Info.

Costs should be in the $80 US range one way or $150 round trip, though they might have gone up a bit to $160 RT. Yes, book them in advance. You will meet your driver outside the terminal after going through immigration, baggage claim and customs, and after fighting your way through the swarms of uniformed people inside the terminal offering "help" (they're really trying to sell you time shares one way or another). Pass all of those people and head outside. The cluster of drivers directly ahead of you will have signs, hopefully one with your name on it.

London
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

lol juanrojo ... i know it was a daft question, and i genuinely hadn't given it a thought before i scan read (possibly a bit too quickly) one of the early posts saying "As you are from Canada ... blah blah ... you can book with Canada transfers", which got me thinking.

I like the idea of a cool beer on the way :)

I don't mind a shared vehicle, just so long as we're not waiting for it to fill up with people. Do you know if they wait for people coming from other flights landing 30, 60, 120 minutes after or are they fairly prompt?

Also, do they go direct to Tulum. I understand that they may drop off other people on the way, but it isn't a diversion into Cancun or anything out of the way like that is it?

Otherwise it's a case at looking at private. Not interested in self drive, I'm fine in europe, but the last thing i want on my holiday is the stress of understanding a whole new cultures way of driving and their rules and the worries associated with rentals.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 21:31
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,959 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

Canuck Cowboy : What hotel are you heading to?

If you decide to pay cash, then you pay the transfer driver the roundtrip in Canadian cash when you get to your hotel

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Round trip transporation from Cancun airport to Tulum

I avoid all shared shuttles these days. I got stuck on one for almost three hours once as they dropped people off at resort after resort all the way down and all the turning and stopping started making me nauseated. TucanKin had a shared shuttle that went only to Tulum, but they would wait for other Tulum passengers. And if there are more than one of you, I tend to think a private shuttle from USA or Canada (note that TucanKin's private is more expensive than the others listed) is a no-brainer, since the shared versions usually charge per person. And that extra time spent in a shared shuttle, or waiting for one, would better be spent on the beach in my book. :-)