We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabanas near Tulum

Dorset
3 posts
Save Topic
Cabanas near Tulum

Hi, these look very inviting, but can you tellme wht the security is like?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

Which hotel?

Take a look at alltulumhotels.com. You will see there are many.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,962 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

Tulum is pretty safe and you wont have the security guards wandering around like you see at large resorts. What is it tat you are concerned about?

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Dorset
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

Hi, thanks for the response. I have not been this way, and visualise these cabanas alone on the beach with all the potential for break ins etc. I suppose the larger resorts just offer that greater risk to any potential thief. I am not sure just how remote they are.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

Most "hotels" on the beach offer cabanas and are not traditional looking hotels. I think most have security? The one we stayed at certainly did. They are not remote and there are many along the beach.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,962 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

" I have not been this way, and visualise these cabanas alone on the beach with all the potential for break ins etc"

Which cabanas are you looking at specifically?

When we stayed in Tulum, we stayed at Cabanas Tulum, which is along the beach road, in the middle of a line of hotels, restaurants, and bars that stretches for several miles. These are small hotels, most it seems with less than 25 rooms, and the restaurants and bars are also small and low-key. But they are all pretty close together. There are some plots of land in and amongst the hotels that are relatively undeveloped and then there is a lot of undeveloped space on the jungle side of the road. But none if this is particularly remote. As you go north on the beach road toward the ruins or south toward Sian Kaan, away from the core of the hotel zone, the development is less dense, so you would have places there that are more remote.

For the risk of break-ins specifically - I have heard of break-ins at some hotels along the beach road, but nothing more than you hear of at any hotel area. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about it for myself.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Calgary
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

even the hotels on the south end are not remote and really it is one property after another

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

Is the poster talking about the backpacker-type places up towards the ruins perhaps? Those little concrete or stick cabanas? I really can't speak to those very well, but most hotels in Tulum have good security.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
8. Re: Cabanas near Tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:16