We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upcoming weather

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
upcoming weather

Upcoming trip 11/5 to 11/11 and the weather does not look good. Could someone please describe the typical weather for this time of year? Sounds like if the forecasts call for 90% precip that may just mean it will rain hard for a half an hour that day. At least I hope that is the case.

Thank you

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upcoming weather

If you looked at the weather forecasts all year long you would see a lot of consistency for a tropical location. It rains a little here and there...maybe an hour/day. Might rain at night. Only time to be truly worried is when a tropical storm or hurricane is approaching....and there is nothing like that coming up...

Prescott Ontario
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upcoming weather

You booked a trip to the tropics. The rain comes and it goes.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,756 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upcoming weather

The closest webcam that I know of in Akumal can give you some good visual answers and while the weather in Akumal or at the many webcams in Playa DelCarmen can vary by day or even by hour from Tulum they can also offer a general feel for things .

https:/…akumal-beach-webcam

I hope that link works , there are some big changes at Loco Gringo's website .

PDC webcams in this thread .

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k490913…

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: upcoming weather

Or, you know what, it MIGHT rain all day long. Everyone says (and it's usually true) that it rains for 20 minutes at a time, but I've had all-day rain sometimes, and sometimes for a couple of days in a row. If you're worried about rain, you can pack a light poncho or something, or just get wet.

Are you going to cancel your trip if it might rain all day? It's still a pretty cool place to visit. Bring an extra book, some cards, a lantern. Hope your room has a covered porch so you can sit outside and really enjoy the storm.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: upcoming weather

A good friend who lives down there says she can predict the weather with great accuracy 20 minutes out. NO one can do better. Looking at the online weather more than a day in advance is a mistake (though we all do it anyway). Last July I was down and my phone said rain every day, and after the first day it was brilliant sunshine and dry as a bone the rest of the week, though every time I opened my phone it still said rain all week. It would even have rain for that day, while above it, the little sun symbol was shining away.

So you won't know until you get there. Hope it's good though!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,612 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upcoming weather

What do want us to tell you???...It is the rainy season here in the tropics...that's why everything is lush Green when you arrive,,,,.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: upcoming weather

And always good to research this ? before you book

Most forums have Top Questions with these COMMON ? answered

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: upcoming weather

Thanks all. Im in a wedding on Saturday 11/9 and just hoping to find some optimism in the 90 % rain forecasted for that day right now. I will have a blast regardless, just hoping my buddy gets some good weather.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upcoming weather

I think the 90% means it's a 90% chance of rain, right? Not that 90% of the day will be filled with rain. So you may get lucky and have the standard tropical 20 minutes of rain and the weather site will be correct.

Or you can start pulling out all the "rain on your wedding day" lore, like how it's good luck and all that. It rained on my sister's wedding day and they've been married for 25 years now. So I'm going with it being good luck. Of course, if it turns out to be beautiful, maybe don't say anything. :-)

I will also hope for you that the weather is good for the wedding. Do you mind if I ask where it will be?

Wherever it is, if it's somewhere on the main Tulum beach, I hope and pray that the music, or at least hte really loud music, will stop by 11:00 at night. I know you're not in charge, but Tulum is a place of peace and quiet and everyone sleeps with their windows open, and sound carries like crazy down there. I'm not worried about other guests and the wedding hotel but about guests at other hotels four and five properties away.

Sorry, my little soapbox of the moment. Bright lights and loud music are not what most of us go to Tulum for.

Thanks for listening. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Tulum Beach
Tulum Beach
311 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos