We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Desalojo" crime

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
"Desalojo" crime

I have a 6-day trip coming up this Thursday and the first 3 nights we are staying at LUV tulum. We got an alarming email (below) this morning notifying us that we basically cannot stay there. While I wait for a reply and hopefully a resolution on a place to stay, can someone shed light on this situation? Has anyone heard of this? Is it a violent crime or what? (We are imagining land pirates taking over rooms. LOL) We are super bummed because we chose this hotel and the specific room for many reasons. Now with only a few days out, we have nowhere to stay and are afraid of what choices are left. Anyways, just looking for some clarity...

"I am writing to inform you that due to circumstances beyond our control, we are incredibly sad to inform you that we will be unable to accommodate you here at the hotel.

We have been the victims of what is called in Tulum, a "desalojo". This is essentially a land grab and as a result we have lost three of our rooms. Very sadly, one of those rooms, was yours.

We are sincerely sorry for this cancellation and we will refund your deposit in full. We will attempt to work very hard with booking.com to find you an alternative place to stay.

We ask for your kind understanding of our role, as victims, of this criminal act and again we apologise most deeply for the terrible inconvenience this will have caused you.

So very sorry"

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Looks to me as an Eviction of some sort happened. That is what the word means basically in Spanish. Back taxes, cloudy title, etc....Who knows. If your rooms are not available, then its time to move on to another place. Which I am sure you will find. Best of luck...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Desalojo" crime

I can´t explain many things in Mexico, including this. I believe it likely stems from the fact that in many places , the title to beachfront land is less than clear. Tulum seems to have this problem more than most areas. It is not said who ¨grabbed¨the land. At times it has been government agencies and at times others.

If you hear more, let us know.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Beachreader was just there very recently. This must have *just* happened as she has not reported the land grab. Land grabs do happen - the largest is what now comprises Mestizo as they "grabbed" around 5 properties.

LUV is a very reputable hotel. Getting a refund should prove that. Have they made any suggestions about a place to stay?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Holy cow! I was just there! Which room were you booked to stay in? I don't even know which part of the property might be in question. This is so sad! I'm sorry it happened to you as well, must be gut-clenching this close to your stay.

If you tell us which room is was you were supposed to stay in and your budget, we can try to help, but I'm sure the folks at Luv will try very hard to find you a good substitute. Wow.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Thanks for your quick responses. Definitely helping us understand what the heck is going on. LUV is working on finding us another place and said they'd find us something comparable within the next 24 hours. I'm thinking that would be difficult with such short notice and on a holiday weekend. I just want something romantic and quiet on the typical idyllic Tulum beach. We are getting married on this trip (just the two of us @ El Pez. Staying there our last 2 nights) so I'm trying not to freak out. Just sitting here with my fingers crossed. Beachreader, don't know the exact name of the room but it was a king beachfront. That's crazy you were JUST there.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Desalojo" crime

It will definitely be difficult at this late date on a holiday weekend, but I'm sure they'll find you something good. Please let us know what they suggest and we'll let you know if it's a good comp.

Beachfront king has me scratching my head. I stayed in one of those, and the building they're in is a building of four units. But they're saying three units were taken. I'm even more confused. I think I'll reach out to them but hate to bother them when I'm sure they're going crazy with this.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,860 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Desalojo" crime

A couple of places to look at as as a substitute are: Encantada, Suenos, Las Ranitas, Casa de las Olas.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Desalojo" crime

OK, I've heard from a contact at Luv a bit more about what happened. As we suspected, this is the same kind of thing that has been happening in Tulum from time to time over the past year or two and is a result of the crazy land ownership along the beach in Tulum. If you can find someone who can explain it to you in terms you understand (and then don't get a different story from someone else), you'll be doing better than I and I've been asking different people about if for at least five years. On the bright side, the lack of title on the land down there may well be one reason why we have not yet been inundated by the big chains. Who knows.

Anyway, the restaurant, the room above the restaurnat (Nube) and the two rooms immediately behind it (Viento and Arena, recently renovated and expanded) have been taken. The rest of the hotel, the best rooms, the beach, the staff, all will remain the same. They're moving the restaurant (which was already under different ownership, very common for hotels everywhere) to the space that was the reception but was supposed to be new rooms. So while things will operate as smoothly as possible very quickly, they're incurring additional expense and losing the income they were expecting from the new rooms. Very sad, breaks my heart.

For those familiar with the property from its history as Amansala, this seems sort of like what happened after that transition. The restaurant and those rooms were separated from the rest of the property, then rejoined. So who knows, maybe they'll rejoin again someday.

CocoMango, I'm sure they'll find you something great. You might want to take a look at Booking.com and the other sites just to get an idea yourself of what's still out there,and while a lot of the best hotels don't really list with them, I'm sure between them and Luv you'll find something. Let me know what your budget is and I'll poke around a bit as well. Three nights, Th-Fri-Sat departing Sun?

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Wow. That's a lot for them to deal with! But like you said, it's good that big resorts havent 't gotten their hands on Tulum. Thanks for all the info.!We were gonna pay $195/night for the room at LUV. So something around that range. Yes, checking in in Thurs and out on Sun :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,820 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Desalojo" crime

Thanks for the good explanation, beachreader. Some things in Mexico still amaze me. Just when I think I understand--I find that I don´t.

Don´t get me wrong, I like it but Tulum still reminds me a bit of the Wild West. It operates from a different set of rules--to the extent rules are ever applied in Mexico. I hadn´t thought about the reason major chains may be staying away. That could well be the reason. I am sure they really don´t want to invest million in property where the title may be in question.