We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Tulum

Cape Cod, Mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Tulum

Hi, I know this question gets asked a lot but we are torn between a few hotels. We are traveling to Tulum next week and are looking for a relaxing romantic getaway. We would like to keep the budget under $200 a night (ideally even under $150.) Beachfront would be nice but not necessary - as I know that might be tough on our budget. We will have a car if that matters. We were looking at Luv, Zebra(it would be a jungle cabana), Neuva Vida and Cabanas Tulum. Of course Ahau, Encantada, El Pez and Villas las Estrellas all looked great too but I think are a bit out of our budget. Thanks in advance!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Do you know who has availability? That would be my biggest concern for next week. Add Tita Tulum to your list, great place for the budget but often books up far in advance. You might also throw an e-mail to Cabanas Tulum, their partial sea-view rooms have been recently renovated and fall into your budget. They have overnight a/c, too.

I don't love the jungle rooms at La Zebra, they're on the other side of the road and very close to the road. I think you can get your budget on the beach side if you work at it.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Oh, I forgot! Having said that about the jungle side of the road, a great place is Las Palmas Maya. Really wonderful property, beautifully landscaped, feels very private from the road (there's a big wall). Great manager, shared kitchen/communal space and beach access at Om Tulum across the street.

If you're OK not being on the beach, I would definitely e-mail them. Budget-friendly but the rooms are nice. The best room happens to be right on the road above the wall, but I love that room and would take it even though it's there. It might be called the "suite", not sure. The manager's name is Tom, great guy--if you write to him, tell him I said hi!

Edited: 27 November 2013, 15:32
Cape Cod, Mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Thanks beachreader! I had read similar things about Zebra's jungle rooms. Cabanas Tulum has a partial ocean view room with a king bed within our budget, Luv has an ocean view king suite ("set back above beach w deck") also within our budget, las palmas has a deluxe cabana with king bed well within our budget but no availability for our first night, I emailed Tita Tulum. Villa Las Estrellas and La Pez also have availability but are a bit over budget. Thanks again for your help!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Tulum

I can't compare the hotels, but we stayed at Cabanas Tulum earlier this year and were very happy with it. It was actually our 3rd choice after Playa Azul (no availability for the room type we wanted) and Nueva Vida Ramiro (no availability at all) - but in the end, I think that it worked out well because we really liked Cabanas Tulum.

Cape Cod, Mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Thanks novermbermoon we are actually looking at nueva Vida too - ahh too many choices;)!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,611 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Tulum

One thing to remember, you can go hang out at other hotels - sit at their bars, eat in their restaurants, etc. So even if you pick one hotel, you don't have to just hang out there like you would at some larger resorts. You can wander all around.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Which rooms are avail at NV? I would think a beachfront room at NV would trump 2nd row at CT.

Cape Cod, Mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Almar del mar at NV - I think it is on the beach

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Alma del Mar is right smack on the beach, nice deck. Remember that NVR and Luv don't include 14% tax in their rates, so you'll have to add that in to get the true cost. NVR has continental breakfast, Luv has full breakfast. I would choose either one of these over the partial room at Cabanas Tulum unless you really want a/c at night. NVR and Luv have much better beach furniture and fewer people than CT IMO.

Personally, I like the style at Luv better than at NVR, which is kind of basic in those beachfront cabanas. The decor and beds at Luv are really sweet. If it's the Mar room that's available at Luv, I'd hop on that. Soaring palapa ceiling, great view. View at NVR is also great and maybe a bit more private, since NVR only sets chairs for guests in residence, so you won't see anyone on "your" beach in front except you or maybe a neighbor.

Both would be great choices, and they're only 5-10 minutes walk apart so if you choose one, you can always check out the other to see how it feels for next time!

Cape Cod, Mass
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in Tulum

Thanks for all the advice - we're going to go with Luv and of course will check out the others for next time:)