We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-beachfront in march

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Non-beachfront in march

Hello all,

Husband and I are planning a trip to Tulum mid-march, and will likely split our stay between town and beach areas. For the beach part, we are wanting a place with a kitchen under $150. Looking at a non beachfront studio at Nvr or las palmas mayas. Does anyone have experience or insight into the heat level of these non beachfront places in march? Anyone recommend one over the other? We stayed beachfront nvr in august and were fine, but I'm worried about the heat factor once off the beach. Thanks for any input!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,597 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-beachfront in march

Both places have fans that run all night long - I think you will fine. We usually travel in the summer, then, I would not consider it, but in the spring, I would think it isn't too bad. And you picked two good places!!

Haven't heard any reports about the studio at NVR, but it looks like a great option!!...I'd probably choose that since it most likely includes that small breakfast and nice beach lounge options. Do remember, tax is up to 19% now.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-beachfront in march

I agree, I think that March should be fine with fans. As Pepper said, NVR includes a nice breakfast and has great beach setups for guests. I love Las Palmas Maya but you'd be using the Om beach, which is fine but not the same as having your own space (and NVR's beach is better IMO, less crowded). So if the NVR studio fits your needs, I think I'd nudge you that way. You may have some beach road traffic noise, but I believe the studio is in the second building away from the road, not the one that's right on it, so it shouldn't be too bad. It's also up on the second floor so you should have a bit better airflow. And it's a really cute unit, I saw it a few years ago after they renovated it. I was there in August and dripping sweat in the middle of the day, but March should be fine.

Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-beachfront in march

Thanks for your input! I'm booked for villas gemini and nvr, and am already counting down the days!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-beachfront in march

You should be just fine in March as long as there is a fan.

Since 2006 we've been spending our anniversary week (March 25th) on the Tulum beach and various other beaches along Riviera Maya. Never an issue with heat at night as long as you have a fan. There has been a few times we've shut all the windows and had an extra blanket on!!

When will you be on the beach?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-beachfront in march

I would check with Geminis about the fans and whether they will run all night. I know they've been doing a lot of work on that property so I'm not sure, but when I stayed there (in the original house) last year, the fan did not run all night and I really really needed it to. Will you be staying in one of the new units behind the house? I'm so curious what they've been doing over there.

Richmond, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-beachfront in march

Beachreader: We are staying in a one-bedroom unit and I'm not sure if it's a newer unit or not. It is advertised as having AC...is that not the case?? What were your thoughts of this property? Not too late to cancel and stay at NVR the whole week!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-beachfront in march

I'm sorry, I think I'm confusing the Casa Geminis on the beach with the Villas Geminis in the pueblo. Guessing the latter is where you mean? Those are supposed to be really nice units, pool and a/c. Sorry for the confusion! I think you have a really good mix of places to stay. I've been meaning to check out staying in the pueblo for a while, and Villas Geminis is high on the list. I have friends who stay there often.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
397 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-beachfront in march

We did not stay overnight at Villas Gemini, but everything we encountered from the owner, gentlemen on staff, property and room was A++.

We had arrived in Tulum during the massive flooding this past September. The beach road was closed so we were unable to get to Casa Limon which we had rented for a week. With the help of Margo and a TodoTulum map we drove back into town looking for a place to stay for the night until the beach road opened.

Upon arriving at Villas Gemini we were greeted by a nice young man whom spoke no English and we speak hardly any Spanish. He then called the owner who was dealing with flooding problems in her home. We negotiated a price (can't remember) and he helped carry ALL the luggage into the room.

Very nice 2 level condo next to pool and beautiful grounds.

Needless to say we were only there for about 2 hours when either Margo or the property Manager called and said the road was open. Had the young gentlemen call the owner to see if we could get a our monies back since we could get to our rental for the week. She totally understood and was very gracious. Of course we left a nice tip for the young man and off we went to the beach.

9. Re: Non-beachfront in march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:16