We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Going to Tulum May 3 - 9 solo after my ex and I cancelled our fancy vacation package (due to our recent breakup) at the Dreams Resort.

Looking for some soul searching and beach laying. I've been there already (in September) so I know the place fairly well.

While there, I'm planning on writing a LGBT travel article for an online publication.

Any LGBT scene, bars, etc in Tulum? Besides The Adonis/ZenSenerity Hotel (that apparently is a let down).

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Tulum is accepting of all types of people that it isn't necessary to have seperate bars or beach clubs for the LGBT community. Sorry, you might not find what you are looking for in Tulum.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Gotcha. I know Tulum is very accepting, too - it's one of the reasons why I'm going.

I'm not looking specifically for separate LGBT bars or hotels - just some insight, if you will.

Thanks.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Any place we have gone along the beach has been a mix of couples (straight and gay), groups of friends, families and solo travelers. No place stands out.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Yup, what Pepper said. In all my years in Tulum, other than the Adonis thing, I have never seen one hotel or one bar/restaurant that either catered to or was more or less full of obviously LGBT people. I met a young gay male couple at Luv last year who did a day pass to Adonis just to check it out, and they said they had a good time there, but I got the feeling it was more about the pool and the drinks than anything else. Now that Adonis is Zenserenity, I'm assuming their gay focus has changed but I really don't know.

But yes, overall, Tulum is open and accepting but not in any kind of obvious way. Maybe in Tulum pueblo there's a more specifically gay bar that I haven't heard of.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
429 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

We just returned from 12 days in Tulum. We ate at Ahau several times and noticed a handful of tables of same sex couples hanging and also dining.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Yeah, but it's not like Ahau is particularly a gay magnet--probably just happened to have a few more gay guests that week than usual, and that's assuming that two people of the same sex sharing a table are a couple and not just friends, LOL. (I know the lady from Cornlea knows that, I'm just making a point.)

Tulum just doesn't care who or what you are. It's not a "gay" place or a "straight" place, it just is. If the readers of that LGBT site are looking for places where they know for sure they'll find other gay folks to hang out with, Tulum may not be it. If they're looking for a place where their sexuality means nothing to anyone and they're just as likely to spend their week among straight people as gay, then Tulum is perfect. I know that some gay people prefer gay-centric vacations, but that's not what Tulum will give them. It's not like Provincetown.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Caribe Swing bar in the Pueblo. We just love the vibe there, later at night it definitely takes on the LGBT vibe…but all types hang there for sure.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
50 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

We just got back from Tulum (went with my husband and two kids). It was a mix of straight and gay couples as well as families. No restaurant or hotel (from what I could observe of people laying out on the beach) seemed "more" LGBT. There was a group of gay men staying at our hotel and I was proud of myself as a parent that my kids made zero comment about it. I think Tulum is the type of place that attracts people that are open-minded (straight & LGBT alike). It made me happy to see that LGBT felt comfortable to be who they and to show affection just like everyone else

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

Awesome - thanks everyone.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum in May / LGBT travel article

I'd love to see your article when it's done!