We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Sharks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Sharks

Hi There!

My partner and I are thinking of doing a whale shark tour from Tulum. However, we'll be in Tulum from 12 May to 22 May. There seems to be some discrepancy for when the whale sharks are actually there. There are a lot of references to that start of the whale shark 'occupation' in June, but then some tour companies state from mid-May. So the question is, are the tour companies saying mid-May to sucker a few extra tourists?

Cheers,

Jesse

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whale Sharks

Thanks for the info, Sichy, I didn't know they were now closer to Isla. I'm thinking of taking my niece up there this summer and Isla would be a lot easier.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,667 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Whale Sharks

every year (and week), they change their location

Last August, we had to travel 75-80 minutes by boat from Isla

London
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whale Sharks

Last year we stayed on Holbox between 25th May and 9th June and went out twice on whale shark tours. First time there were none and we just came back, and the second time we missed a pair of sharks by about 30 mins but there were literally 100's of boats all trying to see the only whale sharks spotted in the entire area - it wasn't pleasant.

From my experience and what the tours/hotels/locals were saying, I would say your dates are too early in the season to *plan* anything certain around seeing whale sharks; however you might be lucky if you keep checking while you were there.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Whale Sharks

I agree, stay in Isla for a few days at the end of your trip. We went with onislamujers (Jorge) and he won't go unless they have been spotted. Also, Isla is amazing, so you won't regret it even if you don't get to see the whale sharks. We went last July and had to travel 2+ hours to see the whales, but there were TONS. Every place you looked there was a shark and we also saw several manta rays. I think Jorge estimated 70+ sharks that day. Warning, if they are far out, take Dramamine before getting on the boat!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whale Sharks

Yes, definitely do the Dramamine or whatever works. I was OK on the ride out, wind in my face, riding the waves. When we got to the sharks, the engine cut and we started rolling. I jumped into the water and was able to calm down, but the minute I got back on the boat I had to lie down and stayed that way for the rest of the trip. Grateful I didn't hurl, but there were I think three others like me lying down to keep it together. I want to take my niece out to see them next year, but don't really want to do that boat ride again!

London
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whale Sharks

Fortunately I don't get sea sick, I actually enjoy the ride in rough seas. My wife took travel sickness pills and was "okay" but apart from two others EVERYONE on the boat was sea sick. One girl was literally sick over the side for pretty much 6 hours. She looked like death when we eventually got off.

Although we didn't see the whales, I had a great day out as there was lots of spare beer and ceviche going then we got caught in the middle of an electrical storm and a torrential downpour which was very exciting. I appreciate, not everyone's cup of tea though :)

17. Re: Whale Sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15