We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
mosquitos

going to Tulum end of May / beginning of June.

Are there any problems with mosquitos?, not sure of the climate so can't be sure about the "little darlings"...!!!!!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

Mosquitoes exist. How much of a problem they are depends on several factors: how delicious you are personally, how close your room is to the sea, whether your room has screens on the windows, but mostly how the wind is blowing. If the wind is blowing off the sea, there are fewer skeeters. If it turns around and comes off the land, there are more.

You will definitely want bug repellant. I bring both natural and Deet varieties. I start with the natural, which I prefer around my head, neck and upper body, but I use it all over. Depending then on what I find, or when I'm dining on the jungle side of the beach road, I may add some Deet around my ankles.

For natural, I like a spray I found down there called FlyAway or something like that. I find it works better than any of the naturals I find up here.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Maybe it's called FlyOut? FlyAway sounds right though.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

thanks for that. Coming from the UK we won't know too much about them. Will we need to use a mossie net at night?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,597 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

Most places have screens on the windows - so you can get a breeze and keep mosquitoes out. The net is often more or less decoration.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

the place I stayed had mosquito nets over the beds, there were definitely mosquitoes at sunset and after dark

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,775 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

Where are you staying (and which room, if you know)? If you're full-on beachfront, the liklihood of mosquitoes is lower.

I would start now loading up on Vitamin Bs (not sure which, so go ahead and do all) and maybe garlic pills. My sister and her family swear by the garlic pills, I've had good results with the Vit. B in Mexico. For some reason the vitamin B seems to make the bites less obnoxious--they may still bite, but the bites are less itchy and red. At least, in my experience. Your blood may be different.

If you've never been to Mexico before, I would also consider starting now, eating lots of yogurt and/or taking probiotics to help get your gut a bit stronger. I can't say for sure that it works, but again, I think it does.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

So does having a room right on beach help with mosquitos or cause more?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,597 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

A beachfront room helps as long as a nice breeze is blowing to keep the mosquitoes away.

Dexter, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitos

Bring real repellent. Best I have found in 40 years of travel is Sawyer Jungle Juice. 98% DEET. DEET is the best active ingredient. You can get Sawyer on line from REI.com. 2.5 oz. bottle so it can go in carryon. Just takes a few drops. I used to be a trainer for various militaries and used it in the Amazon Basin as well as the jungles of Central America. Repellent in Mexico is expensive and of limited selection. One thing you can buy locally are mosquito coils. Cheap. You light one and it burns for a long time.

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitos

would not use a high concentration of DEET, especially on kids!

The mosquitos LOVE me and had just a few bites on our last trip mid-late April. The breeze along the sea keeps them away and the fact it was very dry...rained 2 mins in 14 days.

Only found them bad around 4:30 pm and on the jungle side of beach road. Not bad at all when dining on the beach or in town.

I use this stuff:

…amazonaws.com/

works quite well actually, just have to reapply more frequently than DEET