We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Hello,

We're about to embark on a two-week family vacation to the Yucatan, ending in Tulum for four days. We booked at one of the nicer and well-reviewed beachfront hotels, and we have literally just received an email saying that "the government seized" the hotel? And that we are not able to stay there.

What on earth is this about and is this for real? The email says that it happened to four other Tulum hotels as well.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,082 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Have you read the other two active threads on this same subject

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Yes. We have been talking about it here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k7479…

Try booking another hotel if you can. Hopefully you'll get your deposit back. Sounds like most people are. Look at LUV, Las Ranitas, Casa Violeta, Shambala Petit, Villas Las Estrellas, Suenos, Cabanas Tulum, La Luna.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,082 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Hit send to soon

Yes, here is the other thread with some other hotels recommended.

We just visited friends at Tia Tulum who loved it

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k74941…

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Thank you so much. I will see if any of these have availability. We're on a budget. It was Dos Ceibas. We were SO excited to stay there too.

Is there any chance of this happening to these other hotels? Before we book?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

The thing is - you will never know if and when or who this will happen to. It is unsettling for sure.

Tita Tulum or Playa Mambo might be a good fit for you.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

These are outside of our range and most are booked. We were going to pay $120 per night for three people at Dos Ceibas, for a very nice looking room with two beds and a kitchenette. That was our upper end. Should we consider staying in town? We want a beach vacation. I see a very, very few places that are in range on the beach.

Is there any chance of this happening at Hotel Amoreira and does anyone know if it's nice? It looks nice from the website.

Thank you. I'm a little frantic about this, sorry. We're about to get on a plane tomorrow.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

That is unsettling. Is the beach still accessible for tourists?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Hotel Amoreira would be a good option. Actually....look at Casa Tanga Manga. They have a shared kitchen.

On the jungle side of the beach rd, Las Palmas Maya is a great option - also with a shared kitchen.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

But will this hotel also be potentially seized? That's what's confusing me. Thanks so much for your swift replies, pepper. Also, before booking, is the situation tense feeling or is it business as usual feeling? Is the beach okay to hang out on or not?

Before booking anything, it would help me to hear from someone in area. I presume you're in area, right?

Thank you again! You have my greatest thanks and blessings for helping. I'm still wondering about the questions above. :/ And my spouse is thisclose to saying we should just stay in Merida instead. I'm kind of trying to talk him out of it by giving him correct info. He has soured over this on the vacation already!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The government just "seized" our hotel??? Please advise ASAP

Pepper are you a paid travel agent for the Tulum beach? There is a serious problem with these takeovers. Try another place is a very temporary solution. Not attacking you just wondeirng why you don't seem to get the seriousness of this on going situation?