We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

Auckland Central...
3 posts
Save Topic
Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

Hi there,

I am travelling to Mexico City for a wedding at the start of October 2014. A group of us are currently trying to decide between Tulum and Playa Del Carmen for a fun, relaxing 4-6 day holiday afterwards. There will be 10-15 of us and we are in our 30s. We like eating, drinking and generally hanging out, as well as the odd bit of dancing in the evenings too, but not at clubs.

We've read that although Tulum is further from the Cancun airport, so is less convenient, the beaches are nicer than in PDC, and less crowded and there is more of a relaxed vibe.

In terms of accommodation, we're looking for beachfront with a bit of luxury (incl A/C). From what I've seen so far, this type of accommodation is more expensive in Tulum than in PDC. In Tulum we're looking at The Beach and Cabanas Tulum (so that people can spend different amounts if they want to but still effectively be staying at the same location) vs a few beachfront penthouse condos at El Taj in PDC.

My question is whether the food and drink prices in Tulum are more, or less, or roughly the same, as in PDC? If they are less then that might offset the extra that we'd be paying accommodation.

Any other help or thoughts would also be appreciated.

We are thinking that we will hire a car/s to get around and visit Chichen Itza and local cenotes etc.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Diana.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

In my opinion, Playa Del Carmen is the better fit for your group. You will have so many more options for dining and entertainment. I'm in Tulum now, and we love it, our third trip here, I just think if I were planning a big group trip I would prefer Playa, especially for more amenities. We are perfectly fine with no AC, no TV, no toilet paper in the toilet etc, but I know many people are not.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

You will find food and drink prices generally slightly more in Tulum.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

Food and drinks are typically higher in Tulum.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

I'll echo what everyone has said - prices are higher in Tulum. But...you also have more beachfront property to choose from where it is truely beachfront and without rows of beach chairs on the beach.

Auckland Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

Thank you all very much for your thoughts, I'm still leaning towards Tulum, so now just have to convince the rest of the group!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

All you would have to do to convince me is show me a pic of the beach in front of El Faro and a pic of the beach wherever you are looking in Tulum.

What hotels are you looking at in Tulum?

Auckland Central...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

Our group would probably be staying across both The Beach and Cabanas Tulum, to cater for different budgets but enable us to effectively be at the same place in terms of eating meals, relaxing on the beach etc.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,142 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

That is a good choice - the Beach and Cabanas Tulum are adjacent and share a restaurant and bar, so that would be convenient.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

And it includes a full breakfast which will really help with budgets!!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices in Tulum vs Playa Del Carmen

And the breakfasts are amazing!