We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Card Cloning

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Card Cloning

As if the local Pemex needed another problem, today´s Novedades newspaper is reporting a Pemex employee of Pemex was arrested and police seized a device used to duplicate bank cards. While the exact Pemex station was not named, the location was described as ¨located next to the police filter¨.

I would never have used a credit card at Pemex but any who do should beware.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Card Cloning

I didn't even know they accepted CCs.

USA
Level Contributor
553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Card Cloning

Even though I'm a big fan and use them exclusively for everything I can at home, I think using credit cards or even ATM's in Mexico is just asking for unnecessary trouble. I only use a credit card to pay in a hotel (and not even just any hotel) and bring cash with me. Works for me.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Card Cloning

I agree about using credit cards , for the most part. But for many years, I have used ATM´s here for all my cash and never a problem. If I do use a credit card, I make sure it is a place where the card is always in sight. Which rules out Pemex and many restaurants.

4. Re: Card Cloning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:17