We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum agua mala or sea lice

I just arrived in tulum yesterday and it's lovely but there's one thing that's really bumming me out and that's the agua mala or sea lice. Every time we swim we get itchy and my sister got a rash on her butt. Also the water is rather rough and seaweedy. Is this what we should expect all week? Our dream was to swim on lovely Caribbean water all day every day but we find we can't. We did Vieques last summer and never got out of the water all day. We are at the beach tulum which is very nice but if I can't swim in the ocean it will really ruin our vacation.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Which part of the beach are you at? Seaweed tends to cycle in and out - each day and throughout the day.

When I lived in Florida, we have sea lice issues from time to time - as long as we showered (rinsed off) after being in the water, we were fine....including getting under the seams of our swimsuits. You have to make sure you rinse under the fabric of your swimsuit.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

I just re-read your post. I see where you guys are at now. The seaweed will most likely cycle in/out. It's rare for it to stay in that area for a while. The beach kind of changes when you walk south at around Ahau. Go take a walk and see how the water is past Ahau. It's probably much better. Typically the farther south you go, the better.

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

We are at The beach Tulum. The seaweed is not as bad today as yesterday but the water is pretty rough and stirring up a lot of sand and every time we swim we get really itchy. So disappointing. We are big ocean swimmers but this is making it unpleasant. I just hope it's not every day.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Try walking south a bit. It should be better. It usually is.

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Ok I will. Just would stink if we can't swim right in front of our room . Kind of the point of why we're here

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Happy to report the seaweed situation has been much improved and we've figure out that the itch -causing organisms seem to coincide with presence of the seaweed. Water is nice and clear in front of Beach Tulum today. Couple of men working very hard to rake and bury seaweed that is sitting on sand.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Great to hear. It cycles in/out. Doesn't stay for long. We always take advantage of those perfect days. Enjoy!

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Tulum is not a great swimming beach destination as it is relatively un-protected and currents can be dangerous. It is a open water beach with not much of a reef to protect it. There are others like Akumal that are much better.

Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Really? I thought Tulum was great for swimming....at least it looks like it in the photos! Boo. I hope the water isn't too rough next week!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

I think it depends on your definition of "great" swimming conditions and the day. Some days are rough and some are calm - as is the case with ALL beaches. I personally think Tulum is a great swimming beach, just not maybe every day.

Also, I don't think of Akumal as being a swimming beach at all! It's great for a snorkel, but unless you are at Akumal bay, you can't really get into the water without water shoes and there are virtually no waves. To me, that is not a great swimming beach. Again...it's all up to your personal perspective of "great". :)

Edited: 30 July 2014, 14:45