We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum agua mala or sea lice

I just arrived in tulum yesterday and it's lovely but there's one thing that's really bumming me out and that's the agua mala or sea lice. Every time we swim we get itchy and my sister got a rash on her butt. Also the water is rather rough and seaweedy. Is this what we should expect all week? Our dream was to swim on lovely Caribbean water all day every day but we find we can't. We did Vieques last summer and never got out of the water all day. We are at the beach tulum which is very nice but if I can't swim in the ocean it will really ruin our vacation.

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

I think swimming is a loosely used term, I guess it depends if you are talking going to deeper water away from the surf or hanging out in the surf. Tulum is not in a protected bay or cove it is exposed and subject to strong currents. Unlike the coves and bays of the RM that are protected by shallow reefs someways out You should be a experienced ocean swimmer to actually swim beyond the surf. There certainly are calm days.though those are more the exception than the rule based upon our experience their. Be Safe.

Akumal is a shallow bay protected by a reef where water is calm and void of strong currents most of the time. I would go out on a limb a say that it is the most popular beach for swimming/snorkeling there are often many morning swimmers there.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

Sapphire, did you come here to check on the swimming conditions before you booked? I don't think I've ever heard anyone promise perfect Caribbean water conditions in Tulum, ever. Some days it's rough, some days it's not. Some days there is a lot of seaweed, some days not. I've have more trips overall where the water was rough, even super-rough, then calm. When it's calm it's my dream, but probably 80% of my trips have been on the rough side.

I'm glad the seaweed has cleared up for you today and especially the bitey bits. Are you sure it's sea lice? Sometimes I just find small sting-y bits in the seaweed, since some of that is kind of toxic and when little bits break off and float around, you get small stings. But if it is actually sea lice, that's a bummer for sure. I've never experienced actual sea lice in Tulum, but I also don't swim much when there's seaweed.

Hope the rest of your trip has the perfect Caribbean waters we all dream of!

13. Re: Tulum agua mala or sea lice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2015, 05:15