We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

Dear Tulum experts,

We'll be in the Riviera Maya at The Excellence 8/30-9/8 and none of us (4) have been to any Mayan ruins even though we've been to Cancun and Riviera Maya many times. This trip we're determined to go see the ones in Tulum, but we don't want to do one of those tours offered at the resort. We want to have the time flexibility to visit the ruins, swim at the beach, and my brother also wants to snorkel in the cenotes. But we also want to travel safely. Is it best to hire a taxi for the day? What's the reasonable going rate this time of year? Is one day enough time to do all the things we want to do (we are willing to start as early as 8am from our resort)? I hear it's customary to invite the cab driver to lunch with us. Where is a tasty but affordable lunch spot in Tulum? (we're adventurous eaters) And lastly, are there any other ruins close(r) to our resort you'd recommend? Thank you so very much for your time! :)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

See if Edventures can customize a day for your group.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

Private transfers like Canada Transfers can provide a "private' van for you and you tell them where to go

All travel is SAFE here

I would rather spend a bit more time and go to the Coba Ruins myself

For lunch, take the taxi or van to a place further down the Beach Road such as Ziggy's or La Zebra or OM

Try this Beach Club Crawl

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k5170…

Lots of cenotes between Tulum and Puerto Morelos

What type do you want to swim in

For a great list, see

tripadvisor.ca/…37868083

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

Thank you! We are using USA Transfers for airport transfers so we'll probably book with them! We've never been to any ruins or cenotes so not sure which would be best...

Sturbridge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

We took a collective from playa del carmen, cost about $4. Ride took 45 minutes to tulum. Air conditioned shuttle. Tulum is last stop. Driver and fellow passengers very helpful. Shuttle leaves when its full , only waited a few minutes. Took taxi from town to ruins for 70 pesos. Its very hot at ruins, do get there early, bring hat or umbrella for shade.

5. Re: Best transportation method for daytrip to Tulum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:15