We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

It seems like the reviews of Tulum are getting worse, not better. I am concerned that while the construction may be completed, the increase in the number of guests with expanded rooms cannot be properly accomodated with restaurants and staff. I realize that we need to take the reviews with a grain of salt but they are consistent in the comments.

Did I make a mistake in booking for March?

San Antonio
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

I had also read a lot of bad reviews about Dreams but decided to ignore them because we usually have fun anywhere we go to. I even mentioned it to my travel agent but she reassured me that you can't always trust people's reviews. So, we went & experienced MANY MAJOR problems during our stay there. There are a lot of nice things about the property but I wished I would have listened to my gut feeling & went somewhere else. Too many people are having bad experiences there. My advice- swich to a different resort if you still can!

Toronto
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

What were the major problems you had?

San Antonio
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

The worst part was that me, my husband, & 2 kids all got really sick when we were there. We also talked to MANY other people at the beach, pools & restaurants who said that at least one person in their family got sick while they were there. (We've been to several other AI resorts in Mexico & have never gotten sick.) One afternoon when I was walking to the pool, a 12 year old boy vomited right in front of me. His dad said that he had been vomiting all day. Another couple from New York told me that the wife had vomited everyday since she had been there. My kids were so sick that they had to get shots from the hotel doctor.

These are the problems that we encountered at the resort: the older rooms are extremely outdated (it reminded me of somewhere that I would have stayed in college); we got upgraded to an ocean-front jr. suite (which was beautiful) in the new section BUT the AC never really worked (imagine being nauseated in a room in July with no AC); the room smelled really bad ( I kept having to buy candles from the giftshop to hide the oder); we never had hot water; a couple of times it rained for about an hour & the water would seep through our patio door & flood half of the room (we called the lobby about this several times but no one would ever come & mop it up)- that's probably why the room always smelled; water leaked from our ceiling onto our floor for two days (this was not during the time that it rained); our screen door on our balconey fell off but the front office people never sent anyone to fix it; the AC in the ENTIRE resort went out for about a day; the main restaurant (Hacienda- buffet) never has AC- its so uncomfortable to eat there; we like swimming in the ocean but you really can't at this resort because of the huge rocks; several times the sheets that they would put on our beds looked like they had blood stains on them; we would watch the bartenders wash dirty glasses at the bar by wiping them with a rag & rinse with tap water only (maybe that's why we all got sick??)

OK- I'll stop there. By the end of the trip my husband & I would just laugh & wonder what would happen next! The manager did comp us for 3 nights. (He initially wanted us to come back & stay for free for 3 nights but I would never risk bringing my family back there again.) Anyways, like I said before, the new part of the resort is beautiful, the beaches & pools are really nice, & the employees are really hard working. The drive only took us 1 hour & 15 min. because we paid extra for a private shuttle.

Our family still had fun when we weren't sick. However, next time when I go to Mexico, I'll stay in Playa Del Carmen instead. I was like you before I went- worried about the reviews & wondering if I should really believe them. I really wish now that someone had told me to change resorts BUT I probably still would not have listened to them. I wish you good luck whatever you choose!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

This another reason why I do not like AMresorts, who run Dreams.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

The last couple of reviews have been better. At least they are being a little more fair about the good and the bad at the resort.

Buffalo Grove, IL
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

We were at Dreams Tulum Dec 16-Dec 23 and no one in our party (12 people) got sick. And we never heard of anyone else there being sick that week. We had a great, relaxing time and the weather was beautiful. The only problems we had were mosquitos in the room and once in awhile a funky smell (we were prepared and brought air freshener). We left right before the new section was opening fully but the new lobby looked gorgeous.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

Thanks for the nice words! Glad to hear from someone who was there at the same time as the bad revierers were and yet still had a good time.

8. Re: Dreams Tulum - have I made a mistake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 12:16