We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing for the beach in Antigua

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing for the beach in Antigua

I enjoy sport fishing anytime and often when away on holiday. At some destinations in the Caribbean I have not been allowed to sport fish. I was told in Cozumel the ocean was a sanctuary and no fishing was permitted from the beach. Once in Negril I was told by resort security people fishing by guests was not allowed. I was wondering if I should even bother bringing a rod and reel to our visit at Sandals Grande in Antigua. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa
Sandals Grande Antigua...
7,212 Reviews
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
4 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing for the beach in Antigua

it's not great from Dickinson Bay, a) because it's crowded, and b) because the visibility is sometimes cloudy. However, there are a few places locally.

First up, the Warri Pier in front of Halcyon Bay next door. Some decent snappers hang out around the pilings, attracted by the restaurant scraps I think. Getting them out of the woodwork isn't easy - these are strong fish.

Second, the quiet corners of Dickenson in the evenings when the crowds have left. If you use cutbaits (shrimp or squid) you'll get anything from bonefish to stingray.

Third, the rocks to the western end (Siboney) - there are small-ish jacks, needlefish and snapper in there. Spinning plastics and even fly fishing will do it but it's a bit graunchy for bottom fishing.

Finally, the salt ponds behind Sandals are full of baby tarpon. They'll take a fry fly but I had better luck spinning an epoxy fry fly 3ft behind a half-filled bubble float (the splashing of the float brings the fish on to the feed). There's a lot of gunk in the water which makes fly fishing frustrating.

If you have a car, there are much bigger tarpon in Jolly Harbour, but once again, good luck getting them out of the structure there. There are permit to be had around Urlings, and lots of barracuda anywhere there's structure and small fish.

If you want to drool a little, check out the bar in the English Harbour marina. A pod of tarpon hang out there, some of which are over 100lb.

Tight lines.

Mentioned in this post
York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing for the beach in Antigua

Hello manet.herbe,

Thanks so much for the info on the fishing. While I prefer to fly fish I think I will just bring a 4 piece medium action rod, a reel with 10# braid and a box of lures, some plastic baits and shrimp imitations and a few bucktail jigs. I've caught bonefish early in the mornings off Mexico beaches before the swimmers and beach people start coming out.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing for the beach in Antigua

Yup, plastic shads will work fine. When the water's cloudy it might be worth trying small poppers, stickbaits or anything that makes a splash, and also watch for diving birds as they'll put you on to the baitfish shoals. I'd maybe look at heavier than 10lb braid as fish will head for structure and braid that thin will always fray, but on clean beaches it'll be okay.

The tarpon thing worked because the bubble float picked up the gloop before it stuck to the fly (and also the cavitation noise was similar to feeding fish), and it was immense fun on light spinning gear. They're not big (under 10lb, mostly 2-4lb) but do spend most of the fight airborne. The salt ponds were behind Antigua Village, maybe 5-8min walk from Sandals.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua Village
Antigua Village
233 Reviews
Antigua
Elk Grove Village...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing for the beach in Antigua

Did you fish at sandals? I’m going in July and wanted to do the same???

Reply to: Fishing for the beach in Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted