We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

London
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

I am due to go on holiday this coming Saturday, 3 September, and having phoned the travel agents today they said they don't know anything about St James's being closed due to the beach damage etc following Hurricane Irene, and won't know until Tuesday when they speak to Virgin.

I know they will try and offer the Verandah hotel, being its sister hotel but I really don't want to go there as I have read some very mixed views. If I had wanted to go there, I would have booked it in the first place. Where else anyone recommend, this was due to be my first trip to Antigua. Really gutted that St James's is going to be shut. Any advice please......

Texas
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

You might just have to take Verandah, as that is what is being offered. What bad reviews are you reading about it?

purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Galley Bay is also in the same group (Elite Island Resorts) and virgin go there as well so maybe try there, Looking at the state of the beach you are lucky you are not going there it is a real mess !!!!

London
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Hi, thanks for info. Someone said on one of the reviews that Verandah is like 'butlins' which really put me off! I am really hoping that I get offered another choice but knowing my luck that won't happen! We shall see what happens on Tuesday when they come back to me.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

I would certainly try for Galley Bay. It's a far, far nicer resort than the Verandah. Actually, it's a much nicer resort than St James as well these days.

They need to offer you equivalent or better accommodation, and IMO Verandah does not answer this.

Edited: 28 August 2011, 21:08
purley
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Yes just stick to you guns and say you dont want Verandah as it not as nice as st james's and miles away from anything

Antigua
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Verandah is a lovely family resort and is currently not being affected by the seaweed according to their face book page.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

EIR123, it is a nice family resort. But it's not as nice as other Elite resorts, especially in the higher room categories, and has a hugely inconvenient location by comparison.

Antigua
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Thank you mizgeorge, but the location of the resort is subjective to what you personal feel is convenient or not. When we stayed it had all the amenities we required and the trip into town offers the opportunity to see the rest of the island, but that is just our opinion.

London
Level Contributor
235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Thanks for the info, i have been offered the Verandah which I knew I would be. The travel company can't or won't change the holiday to the Galley Bay, too big a price difference or even to Blue Waters. So the question is do I go to the Verandah or change and get a room at Cocobay as I found a company with one room left. Any info back much appreciated!!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where else if St James is closed? Due to go Saturday! Advice

Go for Cocobay, great coast line, losts of beaches close by and more restaurants as well.

Good Luck.

Mark

Get answers to your questions about Antigua and Barbuda