We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what MUST we do during our stay?

English Harbour...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
what MUST we do during our stay?

so excited to be arriving Friday afternoon for a fortnight in Antigua. we have rented a lovely villa in Dian Bay with a five minute walk to long bay. I believe long bay is lovely, & we are thrilled to have it close by. we'll also go to 1/2 moon bay, it sounds beautiful, too. we have a rental vehicle for the 2 weeks...where should we go. Shirley heights on Sunday? wondering if ferry to Barbuda is worth the expense for 4 adults, 2 teens, & a child? i am beach crazy. we go to Jamaica every year, & there are some fabulous ones there. have also been to Barbados, st. Maarten, st. Eustatius, Grenada, & Tortola. so big & tiny islands...what should we expect? it's low season & we expect most restaurants to be shut. any thoughts on what IS open? best beach with a bar? jolly dive for scuba? I have read a great deal on here & I appreciate all thoughts and ideas to make our stay wonderful. thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbuda
Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Tortola
Tortola
British Virgin Islands
English Harbour...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

oh common! please reply. ta!

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

www.antiguanice.com has a list of the restaurant opening times , as well as everything you could possibly require or need to know about Antigua. I believe that La Tartaruga, right on Long Beach is open every day (except Mondays) for lunch, and for dinner Thurs Fri and Sat. maybe even Sun. Good place for your first night, saves you cooking.

Shirley Heights is definitely worth a trip on Sunday late afternoon and into the evening for the views, the sunset, and the music.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

If you are beach crazy then you must go to Barbuda! Simply put...there is nothing can compare. Beautiful beaches and the clearest water you can imagine. Enjoy...it's worth every dime you spend to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Barbuda
Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda
English Harbour...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

thanks so much, I will take a look at the site. the restaurant is right on long bay? great. we'll make sure to pop over this Friday evening.

thanks seasun, Barbuda is my one absolute. we have a friend who owns an art gallery in English harbour & she thinks her friend can get us a decent rate to ferry us over. it looks stunning.

again, thank you both!

I'll be there in 48 hours....

best,

meg

Mentioned in this post
Barbuda
Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

It's best to fly over to Barbuda if it's a day trip. You will get much more time there than the ferry, and the ferry crossing can get quite rough at times.

More info on Barbuda and photos.

www.antiguaforums.com/viewforum.php?f=20

Regards

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Barbuda
Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda
English Harbour...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

cheers mark!

yes, I gave heard that via nancy, our local friend. she said we could talk to Greg, the ferry owner & decide if the conditions were good enough to go. I know the ferry is about $80 US, I assume the winnair flights are much dearer, correct?

hopefully we can swing it one way or another.

any other day trips you reccomend? we are not into touristy type excursions & hope the island will be rather quite in the next few weeks. what should I expect?

I appreciate all your advice,

meh

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

The airline is now SVG, around $100 USD

http://www.svgair.com/

Regards

Mark

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

Id' agree with Mark - far better to fly over. An awful lot of people find the ferry crossing very unpleasant, even in really good weather conditions, and you do end up losing a lot of the day just looking at water.

As for organised trips, my family favourites are with Adventure Antigua - all are small boat rather than big catamaran and are very much not booze cruises - my daughter loves the Xtreme tour above all else, but also really enjoys the sailing trip on the traditional Carriacou sloop - http://www.sailing-antigua.com/

For the rest, provided you have a vehicle, you can easily self-guide. It is possible to get lost - and I thoroughly recommend you try to - just for the fun of finding your way back (and discovering new stuff along the way). You'll always find someone to help you get to where you want to, or to somewhere else that might be just as much fun.

Have a day on the west coast beaches - gorgeous beaches all with good places to eat - try Darkwood for a more local experience, or Turners (Gibsons/OJ's/Keyonna for food and drink). Go into town one day and have a roti from Roti King for lunch followed by ice cream at Australian at Redcliffe Quay (which is also a good spot for souvenir shopping). If you're early risers, head to market early, early on a Saturday morning and join the rest of the island shopping for fruit, vegetables and other provisions.

Take a boat over to Green Island (the guys on the beach at Long Bay, just next door, can organise this) and have a bit of desert island time! Some OK snorkelling here too.

And so much more!

English Harbour...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

mizgeorge! you are the best.

we definitely have a vehichle & getting 'lost' is just our style...green island is on my list. love that.

cheers,

meg

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what MUST we do during our stay?

I would suggest the helicopter tour of Monserrat. You fly over the volcano and exclusion zone. Pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Our teenagers enjoyed the zip line as well.

Get answers to your questions about Antigua and Barbuda