We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carlisle Bay Question

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Carlisle Bay Question

We are looking to possibly book a week stay at Carlisle Bay in November. My 2 biggest concerns are the kids (which I know varies week to week) and the beach. We love a nice beach w/ beautiful, clear water. Is this the place or are there other places w/ better beaches? We also don't want to be too remote, far from restaurants, beach bars, etc. Our recent trips have included Barbados, BVI, Anguilla and Aruba...just to give you an idea of the beaches we have to compare to. I appreciate any help.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

Carlisle Bay is on a beautiful beach/bay. Very tranquil. Also you are on the same route further down the coast for more wonderful beaches, restaurants, beach bars about 10 minutes away by car.

Regards

Mark

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

You'll find very few children (other than a few very small ones) in November as it's term time. The family accommodation is at the other end of the beach to the blocks used for adults only, and there is a kids club that seems to keep them more than occupied. It's a lovely resort, with excellent food and gorgeous landscaping.

It's a great location, and as Mark says, is just at the southern end of the lovely west coast chain of beaches, many of which have bars and restaurants. If you're feeling adventurous, the local bus from the village (Old Road) takes you straight past all of these on its way into St Johns and is a fun way to travel.

You're also right on the doorstep of fig tree drive (the local rainforest) for some wonderful fruits and hikes.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

Thank you both for your responses. I was also looking at Sugar Ridge. Any thoughts on that?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

Sugar Ridge isn't actually on any beach, but offers a shuttle service to a choice of three or four locally. It's also a nice resort, and again has very good food.

The location is at the Northern end of the same chain of beaches, and perhaps a little more convenient as it's located almost opposite Jolly Harbour which offers shops, banks, pharmacy, supermarket and a number of bars and restaurants. The Aveda spa there is lovely.

It's not quite as luxurious as Carlisle Bay (and this is reflected in the price comparison) and some find not being actually on a beach a bit of an issue, but it's a good, slightly left of field alternative to the obvious resort choices.

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

Thank you. I actually think I like the option of being able to choose the different beaches. As for getting to Jolly Harbour, would you recommend renting a car, or are there taxi's available?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

From Sugar Ridge, you can get the shuttle to take you there. It's actually walkable, but not many people do!

I would always recommend having a car even just for a couple of days to do some sightseeing around the island and try a few other beaches, restaurants and and attractions.

7. Re: Carlisle Bay Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 10:16