We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
40 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Rum

Are there any rum distilleries on the island that can be visited? My dad is a great rum drinker and would like to try before buying to bring back to the UK (he wasn't a fan of Jamacan rum!)

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum

No distillery tours any more, but there are plenty of great bars to try the local rum!

We like the English Harbour aged varieties.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum

As George says the Antigua Distillery stopped doing tours some years ago . They are out at the start of Friars Hill Road on the other side of St John's from where you will be. There is a small Reception Area at the front but they don't do much .if any, selling of stock and certainly not at a discount.

The Epicurian supermarket at Jolly Harbour has a decent stock of the most popular brands so you could always get some there.

The liqour stores in the Duty Free part of the airport perversely sell at the same price [ and higher sometimes] as you will get in town or at the supermarkets. The only advantage of waiting to the last minute would be that you could keep them with your carry on luggage which might be better if you are worried about stuff in your suitcase being broken. Happened to me once and I ended up with the only 40% proof suitcase in captivity!!

The 2 local labels are Cavalier and English Harbour with EH being the superior of the 2. I always bring back either 2 or 3 bottles of the 5 year old EH { with 70cl bottles 3 would give you 2.1L against your official limit of 2L but the UK Customs people sometimes just wave it through. Try it if you like.

N.B If you really want to excite your dad try to find a bottle of EH Extra Old . Tthey stopped producing it 6 or 7 years ago but there are some bottles around. You might try Quin Farara's at Heritage Quay, The 10 year old which replaced it is also excellent.

Finally you will not be far from Bolans Village so if you are feeling adventurous get a taxi driver to take you to Barreto's. This guy makes his own rum in a big vat behind his shop. and you will not find a "proof " mark on the bottles. Every batch he makes is different so proof is usually somewhere between 40% and 80%. I have had a bottle from time to time and it is rather good. I am reliably informed that no one has gone blind for years and years so he must be getting it right and for less than £2 per bottle it's worth a try.

www.ministryofrum.com/producerdetails.php…

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
40 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum

Thank you both for your advice. I have passed this info on to my dad and he is very much looking forward to trying and buying along with definitely fitting in a visit to Barreto's. A couple more questions he did ask.,,... Can you bring unmarked bottles back into the UK and do bottles have to be sealed? Any excess amounts brought through UK customs would these just incur extra duty to be paid or be confiscated? Many thanks in advance... We cant wait to visit.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum

unmarked bottles.........They do have a home made label on them it just does not indicate the Proof. I do not have a bottle at the moment [Finished the last one in July] but I think it says something like " Barreto's Fine Rum". The bottle is an old clear wine bottle.

I've never had any problems with customs in the UK. We always go through the " Goods to Declare " channel when we have a little bit OTT and they have only once asked us to open the suitcases. Took a quick look and then waved us through.

I believe any excess should incur duty at the equivalent cost in the UK of the item. As long as you are not silly and try to get through the " Nothing to Declare " Channel when you have more than the allowed amount pp then they are likely to confiscate the excess and , technically, you could be fined. Honesty really is the best policy.

We all know people who have boasted about sneaking 2000 cigarettes or 3 bottles of spirits through but they all get caught in the end and they deserve to be.

All bottles must be sealed.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
40 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum

Thanks thats great... There is only a certain amount that can be consumed whilst there especially when ur not a huge drinker... Hence why he'd like to bring a couple of bottles back. Thanks for all your advice all forwarded onto him. Looking forward to sampling now.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum

Sadly the guy , " Bushy " at the Post Office in Bolans who makes the the high octane rum passed away. I think last night. So it may be best not to stop off there for now. RIP Bushy.

Regards

Mark

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum

Sorry to hear that.

When he realised I had worked with Eddie Barreto nearly 50 years ago he opened up and he was a real character with a wealth of stories.

We will not be back in Antigua until the middle of March so I will ask Vorne at Sugar Ridge to see if anyone takes over the moonshine. He can test it for me as well.!!

RIP Bushy ... I second that

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum

I'd just popped in to update this thread too, having heard the sad news early this evening.

We raised a glass to Bushy tonight. RIP my old friend.

9. Re: Rum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17