We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel?

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel?

Jolly beach or grand royal antigua? Similar price. Going with a four year old. Any thoughts on which one is better? Does one have a calmer beach for my daughter to swim at? Not renting a car and not looking for nightlife. Just want to snorkel and swim.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel?

Jolly Beach for sure! The Grand Royal was a nice spot in its day, and is next to a gorgeous beach, but is a bit of a ghost hotel now, and used mainly for visiting business people, occasional conferences and people caught by overnight flight delays.

Jolly has good children's facilities etc. No off-beach snorkelling though. You'd need to take a boat trip out to the reef for that, or jump on a local bus down to one of the other west coast beaches with crystal clear water.

If a really shallow beach and snorkelling are a big deal, you might prefer to look at Grand Pineapple Beach at Long Bay.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 11:44
chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel?

thank you : )

pineappple is rather expensive for my dates, any other options besides jolly beach? how long does the bus take to get to the west coach beaches? are there hotels in the area?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel?

I'm surprised, Jolly and Pineapple are usually about the same price. JBR is situated on one of the west coast beaches, and there are four or five others within a 15 minute local bus ride from there.

If you're looking for a slightly less expensive option, especially with a younger child, have you considered a villa at Jolly Harbour? Amazingly good value, and there are plenty of options to eat and drink out as well as an excellent supermarket right on site. Take a look at www.typicallytropicalvillas.com for an idea of what I mean. South finger villas are convenient for the beach, pool and commercial centre, and offer two beds and baths as well as loads of living space in a waterside location for less than the price of a pretty basic hotel room.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel?

thanks, ill take a look, for my dates jolly is $129 non inclusive, pineapple is $400 all inclusive

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel?

To be honest, Grand Royal Antiguan has a better beach with clearer water and limited snorkelling to the right hand side, and is almost always extremely calm.

That being said, quite a few people have issues with the hotel. However, I can't personally comment on the quality of the rooms. Many people have issues with the fact that there are hardly people there, and they don't seem to accommodate the last minute visitors that are often sent there from delayed or cancelled flights very well, and these last minute visitors seem to make up the majority of the bad reviews.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel?

If you're looking at R/O at Jolly, then you'd definitely be better off with a villa - a whole villa is cheaper than a room and the two are simply not comparable!

DTG, I completely agree with you about the beach at GRA, but the hotel is horrid these days. The staff try their best, but it needs a whole new management team if it's ever going to to get back to where it was in its heyday.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel?

on that link should i select jolly apartments?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel?

Try some of these: typicallytropicalvillas.com/shortterm2.html

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel?

My husband and I stayed at the JBR last year, just the two of us. We're going back to Antigua with the kids this year but not staying there again. I have 4 year old twins. I'd be nervous with them at that beach. It's beautiful but there is a big dip in the water and it's hard to get in and out. (at least it was there last year). Also, the water isn't clear. Because of the sand that's there, the clay churns up in the water. Like I said, it is beautiful and I loved it and would go back if it was just me and my husband but for my kids, I prefer calmer, clearer water. Also, I know they had a kids club but not sure how it was. We never saw any kids. The resort was mainly adults when we were there last March. I see you are not doing all inclusive so this probably won't affect you but the food choices weren't that good. At least for my kids. 2 of my 3 kids aren't very daring with food and prefer just chicken and pasta.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel?

where are you staying yankee?

Get answers to your questions about Antigua and Barbuda