We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

Is it better to take Stirling or US Dollars Travellers Cheques to Angtigua - are restaurant and hotel prices in US Dollars aswell as Eastern Caribbean Dollars? I heard its easier to pay in US Dollars rather than keep cashing Stirling travellers cheques. Many thanks

sheffield, england
Level Contributor
161 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

hi, we took u.s dollars to antigua and we found that most places used them rather than eastern caribbean dollars so its easier to take u.s really.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

Prices at restaurants (and probably hotels) are posted in either E.C., or in both E.C. and U.S.

Since you live in G.B., you'd have to pay the exchange rate to get the U.S. denominated cheques, then you are going to pay again in Antigua when you convert those to E.C. It doesn't make sense to pay twice, so bring your travelers' cheques in pounds sterling.

There is a bank right at the airport for currency exhange. There are many banks in St. Johns also. I have found that Bank of Antigua consistently has the best exhange rate; Barclays is also OK. Avoid the Canadian banks.

An important note: If you are staying at a resort and don't plan on going off the property too much, you won't need much cash anyway. Mastercard, Visa, and American Express are all accepted almost everywhere other than the smallest bars and shops.

Also: Carry as much sterling as you feel comfortable with and exchange THAT for cash rather than travelers' cheques. The exchange rate on cash is much more favourable than for cheques.

Regardless of the fact that E.C. is the currency, it's hard to find a place that doesn't accept U.S. cash. Antiguans can do the U.S./E.C. exchange rate in their heads with the speed of summer lightening. If you can't do the same, I suggest dealing in E.C. only!

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

What's wrong with Canadian banks? Are you trying to say they have the worst exchange rates? :(

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

Well, yes.

In my experience, in Antigua. Can't speak for them otherwise.

n/b: In Antigua, it was Royal Bank of Canada and Scotia Bank. They also had the longest lines, Lord knows why.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

many thanks - we were looking to pay for everything ie. hotel extras and restaurants in US Dollars and not changing these into to Caribbean Dollars would that be advisable or just taking Stirling and be done with it? Just thought it would save changing travellers cheques if we already had them in US dollars to start with... no back and forth to the Banks etc.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

I think you have to figure out what works best for you.....for example:

For whatever reason, Mastercard gives me a very favourable rate. Therefore, when my husband and I are going out to dinner, one of us put it on out credit card. For a "big" dinner, this usually works out better for us than cash ("big" being a dinner that costs U.S.$ 150 or more).

Because I own a home there, paying for lodging is not an issue. But GROCERIES are, as well as.......well, just a beer or a rum here or there at some local bar, or whatever. For these sorts of things, cash is king. Any Antiguan will accept U.S., but I find it is easier to use E.C. Others on this forum disagree with me, but I like to use the local currency in spite of the fact I usually have U.S.$$ with me.

A.T.M.'s will give you the absolute best exchange rate. Unfortunately, they are still a bit hard to find in Antigua (there is one in English Harbour, and one at the Epicurean supermarket at Wood Centre; otherwise I am not sure).

Second best choice is cash-to-cash...your sterling to E.C. at a bank.

The worst rate of exchange you will get is for travelers' cheques. And actually that is still not horrifying at all! I am very tuned to exchange rates because I did it for a living for a while. But in the long run, if you prefer to bring cheques, what the heck----so you lose a few pounds; you are on holiday anyway. but since you asked the question, the answers are stated.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

very many thanks for your replies... very helpful.

8. Re: Travellers Cheques Sterling or Dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Antigua and Barbuda