We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

East Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

Hi, we are hoping to come to South Africa Feb 25th-Mar 12th 2011.

We visited South Africa in April 2009 to Cape Town, Paarl and Montagu and so have seen some of the sights, and so this time our plan is to spend some time in Cape Town, Montagu (we have friends there) and the Garden Route, but not quite sure which order and where is best to stay on the Garden Route as this is the part we didn't do before).

Would love to hear any views! We like beaches, good scenery, days out, good food and different things to do.

We thought we'd fly to Cape Town and spend around 2/3 nights in Cape Town - this will give us time to do Table Mountain (again!) and Robben Island, a trip into the Cape of Good Hope park (we did the penguins and drove to the entrance but didn't have time to go in) and some relaxing in Camps Bay (this is where we'll stay).

Drive towards the Garden Route - we don't really want to do too much driving in one go but I'm really perplexed about how much there is to do and where best to stay, so if anyone can offer any must see attractions that would be great. We were thinking of spending 3 nights in this area. Possible attractions Addo, Cango Caves, bungee jumping, national park/forest walks but open to many other suggestions!

Then we'd travel to Montagu where we'd stay a week - we have friends here and this would also give us some chill out time. We've done some of the attractions around here but might explore more wineland area too.

Then we'd drive from here straight back to Cape Town airport.

Another option would be to drive from Cape Town to Montagu (we could leave some of our luggage), spend a night there, then drive to the Garden Route, spend 3 days there, back to Montagu for 6 nights and then back to Cape Town. But we don't want to do driving for driving sake too!!

Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Western Cape, South Africa
Table Mountain
Table Mountain
16,838 Reviews
Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
Robben Island
Robben Island
6,856 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape of Good Hope
Cape of Good Hope
6,201 Reviews
Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

Chariot

Montagu to the Garden Route is not too much of a drive, along the R62 to Oudtshoorn and then down to George and the Garden Route.

I spent 4 nights in Knysna a couple of years ago and could have spent longer. Very easy to get to Plet Bay and Tsitsikamma. You could always spend a night in Oudtshorn, if you want to do the cave and ostriches.

We did manage to fit in a visit to the Cango caves en route from Robertson to Knysna, so it is definitely doable. If you don't want to do too much driving and only have a limited time, then it is too far to go to Addo.

I also prefer your second option, especially if you are staying with friends in Montagu

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
George
George
Knysna
Knysna
Cape Town
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

3 nights to cover the Garden Route and include the things you have on your list is frankly not realistic. Addo is actually not part of the Garden Route, but rather on the outskirts of Port Elizabeth. It will pretty much take you an entire day to drive from Cape Town to Addo. The Cango Caves is in Outdshoorn which I wouldn't class as The Garden Route. It is inland and unless you are really into caves and ostriches I would be inclined to give it a miss and stick to the main part of the Garden Route which stretches from Mossel Bay to Tsitsikamma. It will take you approximately 4 hours to drive from CPT to Mossel Bay and approximately 5 to Knysna, which is the heart of the Garden Route.

In my opinion, seeing as you have such a short amount of time to try and take in a huge area, I would drive to Knysna, get accommodation there and use that as my base. Don't try to spread yourself too thinly or you'll just spend your entire time in the car. Lots to do and see in Knsyna, Plettenberg Bay and worth driving up as far as Tsitsikamma as it is beautiful there. If you need any more specific suggestions just let me know. Hope this helps. x

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Knysna
Knysna
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
East Midlands
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

Many thanks for your replies, we've taken this on board and had a think, and have increased our nights in the Garden Route area to 5 to give us more time. Hopefully this will be a better solution:

We plan on taking a day to drive from Cape Town to the Mossel Bay area and then staying there 2 or 3 nights. We will then move a bit further up to Plettenberg Bay/Storms River area for 2 or 3 nights, this way we will be much closer to Addo and Tsitskamma. We'll then spend a day driving to Montagu, probably taking in the Cango Caves on the way back.

How does this sound? Many, many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Cape Town
Cape Town
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Cape Town
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

If you are going to go as far as Mossel Bay you might as well push on to Knysna or at least Wilderness. Mossel Bay to my mind is one of the least attractive parts of the Garden Route. They do have a nice beach but the surrounding area is very built up and not that nice. From George onwards the scenery becomes much nicer.

Your timing is still tight, but it's doable - if you don't mind quite a bit of driving.

Just thinking. One option you could look at near Mossel Bay which could also save you going to Addo, is Bottlierskop Game Reserve. Not cheap but very affordable if you compare it many other private game reserves in SA.

http://www.botlierskop.co.za

My Brother in Law recently stayed there and said it was stunning and they saw as much game as they saw at Addo. We were at Addo last June, and although we saw quite a few elephant, we didn't see much else.

Mentioned in this post
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Knysna
Knysna
Wilderness
Wilderness
George
George
Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

I do agree with the above post ... Mossel Bay is not really what I would call my ideal holiday destination, whereas Knysna or Wilderness I would definately recommend - and not much farther on distance wise either.

My only comment about Botlierskop is that it is only 3,000 hectares, so it is small by comparison to Addo without a shadow of doubt ... I haven't personally been to Botlierskop, but I have a colleague who spent a couple of nights of her honeymoon there, and they certainly enjoyed it.

Mentioned in this post
Mossel Bay
Mossel Bay
Knysna
Knysna
Wilderness
Wilderness
6. Re: South Africa Trip incorporating Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 05:16