We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

Altrincham
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

Hello

I will be driving from Cape Town to the Garden Route, and then back to the winelands in January and wanted some advice on where to stay. I have 6 nights in total and was looking to break up the driving but not sure where to stay.

I will drive as far at Plettenberg Bay and thought of taking the N2 on the way there and R62 on the way back.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

Detour to the seaside town of Hermanus. Google Pacem holiday house in Hermanus. Then visit the town of Wildernis and the town of Knysna

Just past Plettenberg bay is Stormsriver camp in the Garden route national park which is worth a visit, to put it mildly.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 20:29
Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

Hi Matt

I have just put an itinary together for a friend. She wants to go from Cape Town to Knysna and then back to meet us in Stellenbosch, so similar to what you are asking and she also had 6 nights.

My suggestion to her was

I night in Stanford (Overberg), then drive along N2 to Knysna (or Plett in your case). This is around a 5 hour drive without stops

2 nights in Knysna

2 nights in Barrydale or Montagu (or 1 night in Oudtshoorn and 1 night in Barrydale on Montagu)

Then onto the winelands

Hope this helps

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Knysna
Knysna
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

Consider De Hoop Nature Reserve, very special (3 hours approx. from Cape Town. I recently stayed in Hog Hollow near Plettenberg Bay (The Crags) & was excellent, but lots of others to choose from. Then back on R62 I would go for 2 nights north of Oudtshoorn (Schoemanshoek) to access Cango Caves & maybe get over Swartberg Pass to Prince Albert. Nice scenic days drive then back from Oudtshoorn, along R62, to winelands.

James - Africa Collection UK

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Plettenberg Bay
Plettenberg Bay
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
4. Re: Driving Cape Town to the Garden Route - and back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 06:29