We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

Hello everyone,

My family and I (Husband, 6 and 4 year olds) are planning our first trip to South Africa, specifically Cape Town where we will be visiting Table Mountain, Robben Island, Simonstown, Cheetah Outreach, Hermanus; but would also like to spend one night at Sanbona Wildlife Reserve, a night in Oudtshoorn and a night at Elephant Lodge in Knysna, before returning to Cape Town.

Any suggestions on putting together an itinerary for Sanbona, Oudtshoorn and Knysna would be greatly appreciated, as we are not familiar with the distances and also wanting to find out whether the trip back from Knysna to Cape Town is doable in a day.

Thank you so much for your help

Peggy

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

I would suggest, Cape Town, Sanbona, oudtshoorn, knysna, hermanus.

One night in Oudtshoorn and Hermanus are fine but i would strongly reommend at least two nights in Knysna and sanbona (if you can manage it). There is a lot to see and do around the Knysna area and you really wont have any time to do anything if you spend just one night there as the driving distance to hermanus is LONG and one night in a game lodge is just not enough.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

CT to Sanbona is 3.5 hours via Stellenbosch, Franschoek, Robertson then Route 62. This is the prettiest route.

Sanbona to Oudtshoorn is a couple of hours as is Oudtshoorn to Knysna.

Knysna to Hermanus is a day's drive.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,730 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

I would look at this page from the Sanbona site to be sure you understand their suggested directions to their gate: www.sanbona.com/properties/locationmap.asp They suggest you leave Cape Town on the N1.

You see that they provide transportation from the gate to each the lodges, and that this transfer (gate to lodge) can be as much as another hour once you are at the property. It is permissible to drive your own car to the lodge, and you don't need a 4x4 to do it. Scenery is spectacular, and you will see wildlife along the way. But if you want them to drive you, be at the gate before 1230PM. The suggestion that you go, instead, through Stellenbosch and Franschhoek also works, but will add time to the trip to Sanbona. Why? It's longer, involves busy local roads, the climb up (and then back down) of the mountain at the end of the valley where Franschhoek is.

Edited: 30 June 2010, 16:19
south africa
Level Contributor
72 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

hi

I work on the property and would I be correct in stating that you are booked into Gondwana Family Lodge. The drive to the main gate is 3 hours from Cape Town. From the main gate to the welcome lounge is 13km this is where the transfers leave from. transfers need to be booked before arrival and they depart at 12h30 on a daily basis. From welcome lounge to Gondwana is 23km and with the transfer takes approx. 40min drive time

to really enjoy this unique property I would suggest a 2 night stay

from Sanbona to oudthoorn is about 200km and a 2.5 hour drive

hope the above helps

5. Re: Cape Town to Garden Route Itinerary advice appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route