We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

We will be in SA in August. We have 3 days in Cape Town before continuing on to Oudtshoorn. I am trying to figure out our best option for whale watching. Are we better with a day trip from Capetown to Walker bay or De Hoop Nature reserve on our way to Oudtshoorn.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

De Hoop will take you a lot longer than just going to Hermanus in Walker Bay. It is a significant extra drive out of your way - a lot of it on slow gravel roads. In August you should see whales easily at Hermanus, or De Kelders nearby in Walker Bay, from the shore walks. Of course you might well also see them from many places around Cape Town on the penninsula - particularly just north of Simon's Town from the Main Road or in Hout Bay below Chapmans Peak Drive - even from Sea Point promenade.

But 3 days in Cape Town is very little. There is a LOT to see and do here. If you go to Hermanus I would fit in a stop there on your way to Oudtshoorn to maximise your Cape Town time and save loosing a day.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 13:17
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

Hi there

It will be much better to view whales in Hermanus than De Hoop Natutre Reserve. Much further to drive and very off the route to Oudtshoorn.

Travel safe and regards

Hank

Owner - Ulungele Tours.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

I'm with Van De Caab - there is a good chance you will see whales on the peninsula in Fish Hoek/Glencairn/Simons town. I would wait and see and if you aren't lucky, plan a stop over in Hermanus on your way to Oudtshoorn.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

De Hoop is a place unto itself - and yes, whales in August will be there. But way off line for the trip you are planning and I would say a destination of its own for folks with more time to spend. The best advice is already in this thread. Plan a stop in Hermanus or De Kelders (not a day trip from Cape Town). In addition to the whales you can see from the shoreline, there are boats in Hermanus and Gansbaai that are licensed to take you out for what is a wonderful experience very near the whales. This is the one in Gansbaai - http://www.whalewatchingsa.co.za/ - usually goes out twice a day in season. IF the August unpredictable weather permits!

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

South Africa
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

De Hoop is Whale Central. I fly the coastline at De Hoop and Hermanus will have a sprinkling of whales compared to De Hoop. The sightings from the land are further out whereas Hermanus has good viewings below the cliffs. De Hoop is Cape Nature's flagship Nature Reserve and one should plan to spend a few days there. There is Good accommodation and a restaurant.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

Yes i have to agree with william, you can make it a spot for whalewatching but on a overnight schedule. Good hiking trails and very close to the beach.

Hank - Ulungele Tours and Safari's.

7. Re: De Hoop or Walker Bay for Whales

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 15:18