We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

Hi,

I thought we had this all worked out but now I'm thinking we may want to plan differently. Suggestions would be helpful.

We are arriving in George on the evening of July 22nd, Driving to Knysna that night.

2 nights Knysna

July 23rd 10:00 am Township Tour

July 23rd evening Elephant dinner at Knysna Elephant Park

July 24th depart for Oudtshoorn stay the night here

July 25th depart for Cape Town 5 nights here

July 26th Shark Cage Diving.

July 27-30 Cape Town

A few factors...Shark Cage diving is so far out of Cape Town that we may as well try to push through Outdshoorn and get closer to Hermanes? If so what is a reasonable drive from Knysna that we can do in 1 day and still have some stops for wine etc...To be on the road all day on the 25th then turn around on the 26th and again be on the road for 2+ hours..ugg....

I've been to this site: http://route62.co.za/ but am still left wondering what town we should shoot for to stay on the 24th. We are 4 adults adn 1 child age 9. Interested in culture and food. We will have been on Safari the prior week.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

So here is our new thought....

Fly into George and drive to Mossle Bay instead stay there for 2 nights, maybe at Botlierskop if it's not too outragously priced. Then on the 24th drive to Gansbaai for 1 night then we are already there for the Shark Cage Diving...We will miss route 62 :( but this seems much less rushed for us.

Thoughts?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

My firm suggestion would be to keep the plan as it is, except on 25th drive from Oudtshoorn along route 62 as far as Barrydale. Then over the beautiful Traddouws Pass to Swellendam, then Caledon and south to either Gansbaai, Hermanus or Stanford. An easy 4-5 hours drive (add stops!). Overnight and then Shark Cage Diving on the 26th as before. Drive to Cape Town that afternoon

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

We only have 3 nights total. Have to be in cape town on the 25th in the evening

Edited: 24 June 2011, 01:44
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

Oudtshoorn to Cape Town is just over 4 hours non-stop, easy driving on the R62/R60/N1. I have done it often and it is one of the most relaxed drives you can do. Add plenty of stops for lunch and wine tasting and it is a very easy 6 or 7 hours. Leave at 9am and arrive Cape Town 4pm in time for your appointment.

Then stay in Cape Town the 5 nights and do the early morning start for Shark Diving a day or two later - rebook for the 27th or 28th.

Or is there something else that I am missing?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

I agree with Van_de_Caab's first suggestion. You need to get from Oudtshoorn to Gansbaai/Hermanus area for Shark cage diving - so why go all the way through to Cape Town to sleep on the 25th and then backtrack 2 hours to Gansbaai to do Shark cage diving on the 26th? You would still have 4 nights in Cape Town, which is sufficient.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
96 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

So would you suggest we take R62 over the N2 regardless? Our new plan is to still stay 2 nights in Knysna but then head over to Gansbaai and stay the night there on the 24th with a shark dive on the morning of the 25th then head to cape town after the dive on the 25th.

With that in mind it sounds like we may be better off driving from Knysna to Gansbaai via the R62 right?

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
297 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

definitely take route 62. There are many stop starts along the N2 and it is much busier with the amount of traffic. It is still an easy drive from Knysna.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

Its about 6 hour drive from Knysna to Gansbaai via the R62 - quite the detour compared with the N2 route, which is probably only 3 hours. The R62 is a scenic drive but I'm not sure its worth it just for the drive - makes more sense if you are overnighting in Oudtshoorn.

What I was suggesting is cutting down your time in Cape Town to arrive there only on the 26th. That would allow you a night (24th) in Oudtshoorn and a night (25th) in Gansbaai/Hermanus with still enough time to enjoy Cape Town (26th, 27th, 28th, 29th). But it sounds like this is not an option.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

I think the point Kirsty was making is that at the moment there are heavy roadworks on the N2 between George and Swellendam - they can add a lot of time to your journey in which case try the Outeniqua Pass to Oudtshoorn along the R62 and then the Tradouws Pass to Swellendam and onwards - longer in distance but great scenery

10. Re: Suggestions on our itinerary. Knysna to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route