We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf on the Garden Route

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
7 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Golf on the Garden Route

I am looking to stay somewhere on the Garden Route for 4 nights in early January, driving to and from Cape Town. There will be 4 adults, so we require 2 double rooms. I am hoping for a self catering unit, fairly close to a couple of golf courses, which has parking availability and reasonably close to some shops or restaurants (do not mind driving a short distance to these). We dont really have a top budget, but dont want to pay crazy amounts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for areas in which to stay, or actual names of accomodation?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf on the Garden Route

I always found Simola Golf and Country Estate very good value for money, alternatively Pinnacle Point offers self-catering villas which are affordable. In my opinion the standard of accommodation here is not the highest, but it is adequate, comfortable and you have to stay there in order to play Pinnacle Point.

In the surrounding areas you have Mossel Bay and Oubaai etc.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf on the Garden Route

If budget is not a major concern then IMO the best overall venue for golf is Fancourt (just outside George) - It has four courses of varying difficulty and green fees ranging from quite cheap to rather pricey including one where the Presidents Cup and SA Open have been played. The estate has a number of good restaurants but you are not obliged to eat there - it is not self catering as breakfast is part of the price and what a breakfast !!! one of the best you will ever come across in SA. There are also shops but these are mainly golf orientated and are expensive but George is only a few miles away and has plenty of shops of all types. Being sited at George means that it is an easy day trip for the highlights of the Garden Route and you could also drive up to Oudtshoorn for some very different scenery and experiences

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf on the Garden Route

Hi there

It depends on really where you would like to base yourself. A very pleasant place that i always use when on trips to the Garden Route is The Knysna River Club, www.knysnariverclub.co.za . Selfcatering apartments, very nice and safe and clean. Very central situated and all golf courses in the area are about 10-30mins away. Close to the shops and mall's and also restaurants.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours.

4. Re: Golf on the Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:17