We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire Cars

Co Dublin
7 posts
Save Topic
Hire Cars

Hi ,

Am new to this forum. Flying out in about two weeks.

Can I ask, are hire cars easily indentified by their reg plates or back window stickers etc in Cape Town area and along the Garden Route and so are more likely to be a target for break-ins and thievery ?

What would be the best route to take from Garden Route Game Reserve Albertinia to Franschoek ?

Thank you, in anticipation.

Dublin Taxi Driver

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire Cars

No I don't think so. Car reg plates are unique to each province. The inland route via the R62 is very popular or you have the N2.

Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire Cars

I would suggest you just keep an valuables in the boot and everything out of site. That is the best way of avoiding car thieves. Most thieves are just opportunists. If you leave a GPS or bag in the front see in full view... it's that kind of thing to be aware of.

From memory the cars we looked at hiring has stickers in the windows.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire Cars

Maybe it depends on the hire company ?

We used a major and they did not have anything on the vehicle to indicate the it was a hired car, which we were happy about. After all the company does want their car targeted either !

Just follow the recommended precautions you will find on this site, we kept everything out of view in the rear, no bags in the car, doors kept locked and one of us always in the car when we had our luggage with us. Will add that we never once felt threatened or insecure.

Co Dublin
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire Cars

Thanks for the replies re hire cars and safety of contents.

Another question ,on a related topic.

Is it essential for me to purchase an international drivers licence/permit to be allowed drive in S.Africa. I have looked through the confirmation of our agreement with Hertz SA and there is no mention of interntional licence / permit. Both my wife and I hold full E U / Irish drivers licences.

Obviously, don`t want to find out that we need one on arrival at Cape Town pickup.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire Cars

If your licence has your photo on, you're fine without an international licence.

Co Dublin
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire Cars

Have photos...will travel :-)

Thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire Cars

I was a female travelling alone with all my luggage...just took usual precautions, tho by the end of my trip they lessened! Was amazed by just how friendly everyone was, never felt threatened, was there in august...back in 2 weeks!

Birmingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire Cars

Car Hire all depends on the pick up airport. I do tend to travel to Cape Town often and always get a hire car with either a Natal - ND or a Gauteng - GP reg plate. The locals are too FRIENDLY mate. So go and enoy your holiday along the Garden Route. Franschoek has some of the best wines in the country. Your best route to Franschoek would be the N2 or R62 Albertinia. The N2 is for just wanting to get the soon as with some scenery or take the R62 and get some beautiful sightseeing done.

PS: I am from Cape Town if you must know. So don't forget to go and spend at least a day or 2 in Cape Town. Hope this has been helpful.

If it is your honeymoon you going on. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

Co Dublin
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire Cars

Hi again,

Interesting to read that you ALWAYS get .a hire car with a reg plate from another province.....do you ask for this.?.

Judging by how we feel after the long flight from a Heathrow, we may take the coastal route through Jeffrteys Bay and Bettys Basy to Hermanus which will be our base for first and second day. I understand the whales have arrived in good numbers. If we feel jaded after the long flight we may go to Hermanus via the N2.

We have been told that the Hermanus Rock restaurant. is good. Any other suggestions re. good ,preferably seafood, restaurant / s in Hermanus?

Yes Will try to sample some of those Franzschoek and some of the local cuisine. Will be based nearer to Stellenbosch.

We are in Cape Town for two and a half days before flying home and hope to see some of the that city.The red line bus looks like a good way to have a look around and to get our bearings. A friend has recommended The Codfather in Camps Bay as a good eating experience.

Thanks for the local insights and advice.

No....not on honeymoon :-)

10. Re: Hire Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route