We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Banbury
Level Contributor
123 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Hi

My wife and I are visiting South Africa in August this year and are now down to the last stages of planning an itinerary. We will have tavelled from Cape Town and stayed in the wine lands and Hermanus We have then booked 4 nights in Knsyna as we like to have a base for a few days rather than travel from lodging to lodging every day. We then have three more nights before we have to be in Port Elizabeth for a lunch time flight to Jo'burg. Clearly we have to visit Storms River, Natures Valley etc but should we stay the three nights in one place that is central to all in that area or should we just move to Plettenberg or even should we just stay in Kysna and travel from there? We do like a high degree of comfort in our accomodation so backpaker lodges would not be an option. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

we based ourselves at Amanzi Lodge, Knysna for 4 nights just last week. In my opinion, it is not worth changing accommodation to Plettenberg, as you can drive there in 30 mins. The furthest you will need to drive for attractions ,is to Storms River which is about 1 hours slow drive. Kynsna is nicely located for all the attractions and as well as driving in the direction of Storms River you can visit Sedgefiled, Bufflebai, Brenton on Sea in the other direction. a

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Have you considered Klein Karoo as an option? Oudtshoorn or even Graaf Reinat (the latter is a bit far though in the Great Karoo) would offer a totally different scenery to Cape Town, the Winelands and the Garden Route and would add diversity to your trip...

Edited: 10 February 2012, 15:45
Banbury
Level Contributor
123 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Thank you both for your suggestions. A bit more research needed i think!

Save Reply
4. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Just remember that there is the toll at bloukrans, which will cost you approx 40zar to go through each time.... So either stay at plettenberg bay and explore towards Knysna or storms river and explore the other way. Monkey land, the birds of Eden and the elephant sanctuary, nature's valley are on the plett side before the toll, the titsikamma zip line and the canopy treetop tour, big tree and storms on the other side of the toll! Enjoy!

Save Reply
5. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Storms is beautiful and if you like walking, there is enough to keep you walking for two days at least. My fave place in the world is the area between Knysna and Storms! Will be there myself in August, visiting my brother at storms. Four years ago I introduced my hubby to my heritage.... We did the n1 to oudtshoorn and as far as PE and then going back to CT we did the garden route. If it is your first visit I would recommend doing that, as you get a good feel of the land and its diversity, the different vegetation and climate.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

I forgot about the toll, about R35 each way

Weigh this up against how you feel about packing and unpacking at different hotels .

Banbury
Level Contributor
123 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

Thanks again everyone. We have decided to stay the three nights at Hog Hollow which has very good reviews and seems to be a good base for exploring the area.

8. Re: Knysna to Port Elizabeth in 4days / 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 16:24