We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

Hi,

So I have 7 days to use between Cape Town and the Garden Route before I fly out to Kruger. I was thinking 3 days in Cape Town including the Cape of Good Hope/peninsula and the rest of the 4 days I was going to use heading out towards the Garden Route. I'll take any suggestions on definitely what to see and visit. I'd rather spend 2 nights in 2 different places after leaving the Cape Town area heading out and doing the Garden Route, but I'm not sure if that is possible or recommended without setting ourselves back having to travel back to the same location.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

There are 2 routes inland or coastal, both have advantages & disadvantages.

Inland you travel through the wine region into the little karoo with gorgeous scenery, mountains & lots of ostriches, hardly any traffic. Most visitors head to Oudtshoorn for it's attractions then onto the Garden Route to Kynsna.

The coastal route starts just outside of Cape Town head to Somerset West, then Strand on the R44 with another less known/popular penguin colony & botanical gardens, there's Hermanus, Gansbaai for shark diving, Swellendam, Cape Agulhas is the southern point of Africa, Malgas pont across the Breede River, Witsand is lovely, join the N2 main highway to Mossel Bay, Wilderness & onto Kynsna, this route on the N2 is busy & long stretches of no coastal scenery but still has scenery.

Colombo
Level Contributor
134 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

With 7 days, I would do both routes suggested by braaiseason but if you needed to choose I would definitely opt for the inland route. Unbelievable scenery and much better than the Garden route, but thats just my humble opinion :-).

CPT, minimum3 nights! In addition to being a foodies paradise, theres lots to do in CPT. Here are a few;

There's the quick attracttions like the hop-on / hop-off bus tour, V&A waterfront, Robben Island, Tble Mountain and Signal Hill (best at Sunset)....but if you can spare a day, do a drive to Capepoint through Hout Bay, over Champman’s Peak, Noordhoek Beach, down to Cape Point (where the 2 oceans meet), and thereafter drive to Simonstown. Lovely day trip from CPT

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

Thanks for the advice patchy71 and braaiseason. I did notice that the routes in Frommers bring you inland and on the coast and I didn't think it would be possibly to do everything if I planned for 4 days outside of Cape Town. I was thinking of flying out of Port Elizabeth to get to Kruger since it's in that direction. I was definitely going to take a day to do Cape Point.

I thought that Cape Town had some internal transportations where we wouldn't need a car, but from what I'm reading it doesnt look like all the attractions in Cape Town are close to each other. Is this true? Will we need a car while we are there?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

Hi there

Yes you will be needing a car for the City of Cape Town. There will be things that you can make use of, like the Hop on Hop off bus around the City Center, for more info: www.citysightseeing.co.za . I would also suggest that you stay in the City and spend all your days here. But it is not impossible for you to make a round trip to the Garden Route. With proper planning you can take the drive.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

5. Re: 7 days in Cape Town and Garden Route. Suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 19:55
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route