We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Topic
big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

i am planning to go with my family group of 4 families. 4 couples with 7 kids, age 2,4,7,7,10,12. my tetative plan is : fly to Johannesburg and arrive in the morning, go to sun city for one day, then go to Kruger or Pilansburg reserve park for two or three nights. then go back to Johanesburg airport , take domestic flight to cape town and base there to see whale , seal island , penguin beach....etc and wine yard.... and i have ten to elevant days to spend in S.A. please give me some light!! since after i checking this forum, i am thinking not go to suncity side instead i can go garden route, also some nice but smaller reserver there? because i have a 2 years old toddlers, so i am afraid it is a bit dangerous to bring her to Kruger or Pilansburg reserve park .

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

chanmanman

Welcome to Tripadvisor and the South Africa forum, lots of experts and knowledgeable people here so I'm sure you'll pick up some nice tips. Good to see a fellow HKer going to South Africa. We love it there and will be back next month.

I think you won't be so impressed by Sun City. Its good but nothing that will overly impress you compared to our Disney, Ocean Park and Macau attractions. I might very well feel like this wasn't a great day spent in S.Africa.

Instead of Sun City, I suggest spending a day driving around the Blyde River Canyon area. Its the third largest canyon in the world, I believe, just beautiful and something you and your family will remember very well. See link (w/pictures).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

As for Kruger, there are a lot of good resorts to handle a family group your size. We really like Gomo Gomo Game Lodge, offers moderately good accommodations and meals with excellent safari vehicles, guides, trackers and the works. Its a very good resort, excellent value for money for safari experience. See link (w/pictures)

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g471860-d471…

Lots of good stuff for Cape Town as well, just check out the Things to Do section of the Cape Town TA destination pages. The kids will probably like some shark diving, right? ;-)

Hope this is useful information.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

We are going to Mabalingwe game reserve http://www.mabalingwe.co.za with our two and four year olds. The reason we chose it was that it's malaria free, as is Pilanesburg, but Kruger has malaria there and we didn't fancy having to dose the kids up. It's only a 2 hr drive from Jo'burg, and looks lovely. I have friends who stayed in Pilanesburg and also liked it. You need to check that wherever you stay that children as young as 2 and 4 will be allowed on game drives, as a few places I checked out near Cape Town wouldn't let anyone under 6 on a game drive. Hope that helps. We are going in August and can't wait!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

Hello, you could consider Nambiti game reserve which is approx 3.5 hours south of Joburg. Its a private Big 5 reserve and well priced plus malaria free. From there you could drive down to Durban, couple of days on the coast then fly to Port Elizabeth if you wanted to drive part of the garden route. Take a look at www.safarikzn.com where there is information on KwaZulu Natal.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

Pilanesberg is obviously much nearer to Johannesburg so you have less driving to get there, and you can enter the park direct from Sun City, it is a very beautiful park but you can easily drive around in a day. It's been a while since I was there but most of the rest stops had just chain link fence around so you may feel this is a little open for your youngsters. My son went there when he was that age though several times. I've heard reports that the Pilanesberg centre is closed, this is the cafe, ablutions, shops, rest stop, maybe someone can clarify.

Some of the kruger rest stops are unfenced but there are lots of camp to stop at, which are fenced and there shouldn't be any problem for any of the kids out of the vehicle. Kruger is a malaria area though which you also need to consider.

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

thanks all!!

MissBriss, may i know the resort that you stay can let small kids to go on the game drive? i have been to east Africa myself, the ranger said we all must keep quiet all the time, otherwise, if we make any sudden noise may threaten the animal. and they may attack us. it seems like a bit hard to control the kids under 5 years old to not making any noise out there. And i saw the car they are using is all open top. what do you think?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

Hi in my opinion, its not the easiest thing to take small kids on safari, yes because of the noise and wiggling factor, but maybe its best if you can ask any prospective lodges on their particular advice or policies. I would say its fine if your kids can be controlled. Of course as a large group, you may request a landrover to yourselves as not to annoy other paying guests.

Otherwise stick to activities like the scratch patch, penguins and not-to-be missed aquarium in Cape Town.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

The resort is called Mabalingwe http://www.mabalingwe.co.za

and it's about 2 hours north of Johannesburg. When I emailed them asking about taking our kids on game drives this was their reply:

"Mabalingwe nature reserve welcomes all children, all age groups.

There’s a games room, and entertainment most of the days available. There are no problems taking children on game drives"

There are swimming pools there, and a pitch and put, as well as restaurants an bars, so it caters for all ages. Have a look at their website and see what you think. They also said that their game drives will run with anything from 5-20 people, so if there's a big group of you as you say, you could probably take a vehicle by yourselves and not annoy anyone else with wriggling or screaming kids!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 20:08
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

Hi there

I have to agree that you need to get the Reserve all sorted out and then ask them what the result would be with having kids on the open vehicles on the safari drives.

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

9. Re: big family group with old and toddlers, need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:41
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route