We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice on itinerary please.This will be our first trip to Africa and we want to take in as much as possible without putting too much pressure on ourselves to be moving around all the time. We will be travelling late June next year. We are planning:

4 nights Cape Town

2 nights Franschhoek

2 nights Oudtshoorn

2 nights Knysna

1 night Port Elizabeth

We plan on driving between these places. Is this manageable/advisable? Am I leaving out anywhere that you think is unmissable? We are then hoping to go to either Zimbabwe or Botswana on safari and to take in Victoria Falls but i'm just trying to get the SA part right at this stage.

Looking forward to your replies

lolly x

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

The only thing I would change is to add time in Knysna and fly out of George instead of Port Elizabeth. The drive to PE is quite long and in my opinion, not very inspiring.

Please also remember that June is Winter here and the weather on the Garden Route could be cool and wet (though you may be lucky and get lovely sunny days). Most of the activities on the Garden Route are outdoors.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

I agree if you are not going to Storms River & a safari near PE then George is more sensible to fly from.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

2 nights in Oudtshoorn is too much. There is not that much to see and do and you can visit a Ostrich farm and the Cango caves easily in one day, I also agree with the other comments that it is better to fly from George.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Hi,

Have you considered going to an Eastern Cape Game Reserve?

I would also spend less time in Oudtshoorn and cut out Port Elizabeth.

Flights from George are very expensive so you might consider driving from Knysna to Addo or a private reserve nearby and then fly to Johannesburg and

Livingstone (Victoria Falls) from Port Elizabeth.

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Thanks for the tips guys. Very helpful. Any idea where is the best place to book flights between George/PE and Vic falls? Can we fly back to Ireland from Zimbabwe without having to go back to cape town?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Hi,

The best place to compare fares and book flights between George/P.E. and Johannesburg or Victoria Falls is online.

You would need to check the airlines that fly between U.K., South Africa and

Zambia or Zimbabwe what the fares would be if you elected to return from Victoria Falls.

No, you do not need to return to Cape Town but your best fares would be to return to Johannesburg.

I have found the cheapest fares to Victoria Falls to be with 1time Airline - they fly to Livingstone in Zambia and from there you can get a transfer to the Falls. This is a fairly short journey.

Other Airlines that fly to Livingstone and Victoria Falls are British Airways and South African Airways.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Hi Lolly,

It all looks good. You really should try to go to Botswana - Chobe River area- I have been a number of times and it is honestly an amazing experience, unlike any other Safari experience, and lucky me I have done quite a few over the years.

I would fly to Vic Falls. Stay on the Zambia side. I personally think that the hotels are nicer. Maybe do a helicopter flight over the falls - its fabulous!

You can arrange for the lodges in Chobe to fetch you. Its not a great distance and they do it every day. If you would like some suggestions of where to stay let me know.

Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Love the name madaboutwine!! I was actually trying to avoid the zambian side because of the yellow fever restrictions and the taxes to get in. I also read that the view on the zimbabwe side are better. This is probably totatlly subjective though. Definitely going to do a helicopter ride!

I'm torn between Chobe and Lake Kariba in Zim. Any thoughts? Wrong forum though so I might put up a question in another forum.

Thanks for all the help!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

Hi,

I, personally, liked the Zimbabwe side and stayed within a few minutes walk from our hotel (Ilala Lodge - see my review) to the Falls. Also loved Chobe Chilwero Lodge with exquisite viewing of animals from the Chobe River by boat but accommodation is very expensive in Botswana.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SA Honeymoon Itinerary advice needed

I agree with TouristGuide. The ZImbabwe side is the better side to view for the falls. We stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel which definitely has the best location with superb views. The hotel is also within walking distance of the falls. I have been to Lake Kariba and found it absolutely beautiful. I guess this is personal preference, both Chobe and Lake Kariba are lovely places to visit. I also agree with TouristGuide that the accomodation in Botswana is pretty expensive and I personally feel that you get excellent safari experiences in South Africa. In South Africa you get more value for money, escpecially if it should be something more luxurious.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide