We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
73 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights

Hi, we have our SA holiday flights booked for March/April. We end our holiday in Port Elizabeth after a one way drive of the Garden Route. We then fly from PE to Cape Town, with a connecting Heathrow flight due to leave 1.5 hours after landing at CT airport. My question is probably a wee bit silly but I am concerned as to whether 1.5 hours is cutting it a bit fine to catch the connecting flight. I have limited mobility and use a wheelchair and running to catch a flight is an impossibility. Could anyone possibly put my mind at rest (or otherwise!) as to whether this is likely to be ok? Thank you

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights

you may save time in booking your luggage straight through from PE to Heathrow .

my husband is not a regular wheelchair user but does need one for the often long walkways in airports. From our experience , if you advise the airline that you need wheelchair assistance you will get fast tracked through immigration, security etc. We have even been able to get on an earlier flight as the transfers have been so quick in Bangkok airport.

When agents in the UK book connecting flights they like to have no less than a 2 hour gap between flights.

Rather than cause yourself unnecessary worries, just contact the airline and explain your circumstances. I am sure they will pull out all the stops to get you onto your connecting flight.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
73 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. The excitement of going is now slightly tempered by mild panic on what could go wrong!! I will do as you advise and keep everything crossed for a smooth journey

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights

Which airline are you flying with from Cape Town? That will determine whether or not you can check your baggage straight through from PE. Personally I reckon that 1.5 hours is cutting it very fine. Any delay on your PE to CPT leg will really screw you up. Sorry to sound so negative.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
73 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flights

Hi nicmeljones, Our flight from PE is via SAA and we then transfer to a BA flight for the Heathrow leg. I did wonder whether it was too fine but when putting in the times for travel into the flights website it came up with the 1.5 hours transfer time. At the time I thought it might be ok but now I'm really concerned!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flights

HI okeydoke,

is it possible to get an earlier flight from PE to CT, I see that there are 4 flights a day. Or even the day before . It may cost an amendment fee but at least you will be able to relax knowing you have plenty of time for your flight.

I agree with poster 3 that it could be a problem if your flight PE to CT was late.

You need to find out the terms and conditions of your BA flight to Heathrow , is it non refundable or would you be able to transfer to a next day flight if there are seats available?

we did book our luggage through from PE to Heathrow but were flying both flights with SAA.

We didn't find SAA particularly efficient . When we flew Cathy Pacific to Vietnam via Hong Kong, as we landed in HK the info. system listed ALL connecting flights to other places in the world giving details of which gates to use and even had staff waiting at the disembarkation gate to fast track the passengers if the timing was tight.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flights

As your flight from PE is with SAA & your onward flight is with BA I'm afraid that you will NOT be allowed to check your bags through to the UK. Unfortunately for you, BA's South African partner, Comair, doesn't operate a PE-CPT service.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting Flights

Check the SAA website for alternative departure times. They have 4 flights per day.

www.flysaa.com/za/en/flightSearch.action…

8. Re: Connecting Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 January 2013, 09:35
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting Flights

Unless your flight is delayed from PE, the time should be fine. Make sure you advise the airport that you head assistance in advance and even the flight staff can arrange it for you. The airport is not that big and once off the plane, it should not take you more than 20 minutes to the next. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
73 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting Flights

Thank you all so much for your advice

Edited: 12 January 2013, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route