We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Hello Experts,

I have almost finalised the Garden Route, just want to have some advise if i miss out anything last min....

Day 1: Cape Town City

Day 2: Robben Island Hout Bay

Day 3: Peninsula - Cape Point/Boulder Bewach/ Simon's Town - Should i stay in Simon Town or should i book Hermanus this evening?

Day 4: Hermanus - Mossel Bay, stay in Mossel Bay

Day 5: Mossel Bay - Wilderness - Knysna, stay in Knysna

Day 6: Knysana - Pletternberg, back to stay in Knysna

Day 7: Knysna - Oudtshoorn, ??? where should i stay overnight, next day is long journey if stay around Oudtschoorn

Day 8: Oudtshoorn - Franschhoek, stay in Franschhoek

Day 9: Franschhoek - Stellenbosch - Cape town Airport at 7pm to catch flight home.

Ideally i would like to stay in between Oudtshoorn to Franschhoek, so next day we don't have to drive 450km in one day.... anyone can suggest something please...

Oh... also, we will be stay by Green point in CT for first 2 nights, do we need a car from day 1? or pick up on day 3 from City Centre?

Many thanks!

Yang

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Personally I would give Mossel Bay a miss & add on a day to Knysna. Maybe we are just used to travelling long distances on holiday as we wouldn't worry about splitting the journey coming back from Knysna.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Don't forget Table Mountain when you are in Cape Town.

I would hire a car from the airport - driving is so easy and then you have the flexibility to go where and when you want to!

I would give Mossel Bay a miss - maybe stay in Wilderness that night. Enjoy the Girls restaurant in Wilderness. I would go just for the fantastic food!

Also I would just add one night stays are hard work - you are spending all your time driving and not enjoying your holiday.

Cape point, Boulders can be done in a day trip from Cape Town. Also remember you will be tired after your flights so an extra night in CApe Town may help get over your flight.

Hermanus as a nice drive from Cape Town along the coast via Bettys Bay to see the penquins.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

We arrived in Cape Town on a Thursday afternoon and stayed at Mouille Point (just next to Green Point) for 3 nights before picking up a hire car and driving to Stellenbosch. We used the hop on/off bus to get around and see the city, and this bus goes as far as Hout Bay then back along the coast. I'd recommend not picking up the car until day 3 as you won't really need it. Taxis are pretty cheap for getting around if you're really stuck!

Knysna - make sure you go to the Elephant Sanctuary, its about 20km out of Knysna on the way to Plettenberg bay. Pretty amazing experience!

We drove the following:

CT to Stellenbosch via Chapmans Peak

Stellenbosch to Knysna

Knysna to Oudtshoorn

Oudtshoorn to CT

There wasn't much between Oudtshoorn and Franschhoek so I'd recommend just getting up early and driving all the way rather than wasting a night somewhere average.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

You only have 9 days so I suggest you limit your number of overnighters along the way and concentrate on what I would call the 'focus' points. That would be Ctn and the peninsula and the Garden Route around Knysna. You are staying in Green Point for the Ctn leg. It is not necessary to consider a night at Simons Town or along False Bay as you queried in one of your other posts. In Ctn you must trip up Table Mountain and you can include the city sightseeing-say using hop on hop off bus- same day. Then you can do the peninsula tours his is a circular trip and takes you through Hout Bay, etc including the penguins at Boulders beach in Simons Town. Such a trip essentially a full day. Another excursion can then be Robben Island. This is not a full day so it gives some spare time.

Right, then you head for Knysna and base yourself there. Not necessary to stay over at Mossel Bay. I realize you may perhaps not travel that far in one day, but it certainly is not too difficult. You did plan to overnight in Hermanus. How can I say not to if I live here myself! As suggested you could travel to Hermanus via the coastal road and overnight. The coast road is stunning- you pick it up from Gordons Bay- and you can also stop at the Stoney Point penguins and the Harold Porter Botanical gardens if that is your interest. The benefit of staying at Hermanus would be that you shorten your drive the next day to Knysna by 115km.

From Knysna you plan to overnight at Oudtshoorn . I think this is necessary as you would spend the day doing the caves, ostriches et al.

Oudtshoorn to Franschhoek is a lovely route and essentially an easy one day drive. If you really want to break it then stay over at Montagu. They have good B&B's and the Montagu Country Hotel has beautiful gardens and Art Deco furnishings.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Willem makes a couple of very good points. If you check your map you will see the coastal route from Gordon's Bay that then crosses over and comes back up through Kleinmond. Absolutely stunning drive along the water. (Penguin colony, too, at Bettys Bay on that route). Skip Mossel Bay. Don't stay overnight between Oudtshoorn and Franschhoek. Do drive the R62 west and then turn down through Villiersdorp, then west up-and-over the mountain. Your first glimpse of Franschhoek will come when you crest the mountain and look down into the beautiful valley. Really cool.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Thank you everyone...

Willem - as you are expert of Hermanus, am i right to say we won't be able to see any wales this season (i forgot to mention, we are leaving in 1 week time)..

The reason i was thinking to stay in False Bay/Simon's T is after a full day excursion in Cape point area, we would like to try the beautiful fish restaurant in the area with lovely local wine, therefore i rather walk to local restaurant or a short taxi ride... This way can also save us small amount time next day morning heading to the coast.... what do u think?

I like Lucky James' advise...How about 4th night in Witsand - 300km caost drive... and then Knysa?

Dave, would it be too long to drive in one day from OUdtshoon to Franschhoek - 400km in one day? How long do we need to spend in Oudtshoon? i was hoping its 5 hours in the area, and afternoon drive to Montagu (240km)... Next day morning we can take our time to enjoy the Windland... and join a wine tasting tour...

Thank you all!

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

No wales. But we have champagne weather at the moment! Dolphins on some days.

Seafood? Try The Harbour Rock at the new harbour. Most awesome location with views to die for. Award winning wine list showcasing the execellent wines of Hermanus coastal region tel 028 312 2920. Or the Quayside Cabin also in the New Harbour right next to the pier. Very laid-back in a converted ships container. Wine list good and maybe cheaper than The Rock. tel 028 313 0752. Or Seafood at the Marine which is at the classic Marine Hotel in town. However wines completely overpriced imho. There are several other places.

So why have an extra pack and unpack for an in-between night at Simons or Kalk Bay?

If you depart Knysna early you can be at the caves early. Distance is 150km. It will take about 2h30min because a) knysna to George has many speed restrictions along and past Wildernes and b) George to Oudthoorn you cross the Outeniqua pass. Right, at the caves there are two types of tours: Standard lasting 60 min departing on the hour every hour and Adventure lasting 90 min departing on the half hour. Adventure not suitable for persons suffering claustrophobia, high blood pressure, asthma. I believe they recommend you book your tour reservations@cangocaves.co.za tel 044 272 7410.Next you can proceed to say Highgate Show Ostrich Farm a distance of about 40 km from the caves. I think their tours are about 1h30min. You can lunch afterwards at the farm and then proceed to Montagu. So yes, you don't have to overnight at Oudtshoorn (also normally VERY hot this time of year) allowing an extra night elsewhere. (Like Hermanus so that you could explore the valley with its marvelous wine farms -He He!)

Good luck with your trip

WK

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Thank you all, can't wait...

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

I loved Witsand, it's about half way, 3 hours from CT & the same to Knysna.

If you want to stay overnight in False Bay I would suggest Kalk Bay.

London
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garden Route - Almost finalised, help pls...

Kalk bay is exactly where I booked...

Thank you all!

Get answers to your questions about Garden Route