We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

Hi,

Where would be the best place to stay between Wilderness and Hout Bay? We don't really fancy driving it all in one hit, so are looking to spend one night somewhere in between the 2.

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

Hi

I would probably drive the R62 and stay in either Barrydale or Montagu.

By the way anyone pssing through Barrydale, there is a very good local jeweller (semi precious stones with ostrich shell, pearls, lava rock). All made on the premises and individual pieces. It is on the left as you drive from Ladismith to Mantagu. Well worth a stop to rid your self of a few Rand ladies!!!

Lisa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

You could swing down to Hermanus.. If you are traveling between June and even into November, you would likely see whales in the Bay.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

I agree with the above either Montagu or Hermanus are lovely choices depending what you are looking for. Montagu has stunning scenery and Hermanus is of course super for whale watching.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

I agree with Lisa. I've stayed in Montagu several times & will be in Barrydale 3 weeks on Friday!! :-)

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

Both routes are great but I would prefer the coastal journey - and maybe stay in Hermanus, especially if you are going in the whaling season.

Also just off the N2 is Rouxwil Farm (20 mins from Hermanus).

This would make a great stop but you wont want to leave.

From here you can drive back towards Hermanus then through Kleinmond and take the coastal road back through Bettys Bay crossing over the peninsular at Kalk Bay area then along Chapmans Peak Drive which is amazing and into Hout Bay.

A very lovely drive far better than staying on the boring N2!

6. Re: Wilderness to Hout Bay.......where to stay for a night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route