We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape town and the Garden Route

Scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cape town and the Garden Route

I am sorry as there are a few threads on this topic but cant see that this questioned has been asked before.

Coming to SA for 7 days in January (on route to Oz) we fly into Joburg and have two options

Option 1 -

Fly to PE and hire a car drive the Garden route in 4 days (from what I have read this is quite short) then have 3 days in Cape Town, before flying back to Joburg and then on to Oz

Option 2 -

Fly to Cape Town see more of the city and potentially hire a car and stay a night or two on the garden route from CP, which will mean less driving.

any comments would be appreciated.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

If it were me with only 7 days I would concentrate on CT, the Cape Peninsular and the winelands. There is more than enough to see and do in the vicinity and most things can be done from a central base in or around CT in days trips. Otherwise stay in CT for 5 nights and a couple of nights at Stellenbosch/Franschoek The Garden Route is beautiful as is the inland route back on Route 62 but you just need more time to do it justice. Not to worry - you will be back to this wonderful region. We went to CT and Garden Route and Safari in 2008 for a "once in a lifetime" visit and are now planning our 4th trip.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

My choice would definitely be to fly into CT stay a few days and then drive the Garden route with a detour to Outdshoorn.

Scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

Thanks guys, thinking of adding another day in CT as i've done more research and so much to see and do and looks an amazing place.

anymore advice on where to stay on the GR would be much appreciated.

cheers

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

One good place on the GR is Knysna - loads to see and do within 1 hr. drive.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
50 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

We also only had 7 days to explore Cape Town/Western Cape and Garden Route last year after a week between Joburg and Kruger and we spent it as follows:-

Early morning flight from Joburg to George where we picked up hire car and drove short distance to Knysna

2 nights in knysna

Drove to Oudtshoorn early in the morning and visited Ostrich farm , Buffelsdrift Game Reserve and Cango Caves

1 night in Oudtshoorn

Drove the very scenic R62 to Cape Town (absolutely amazing drive -thoroughly recommend)

4 nights in Camps Bay, Cape Town with trips to Haut Bay, Boulders Beach, Cape Point, Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch botanic gardens, Robben Island etc

Although we obviously missed a bit of the Garden Route and didnt manage to get to the winelands, we felt we saw quite a lot in the limited time we had without feeling completely rushed. I was happy that we had flown to George (with SAA) as that then took us to the heart of the Garden Route and cut down on the driving.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time and will leave you just longing to go back!

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
173 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

I second Anna's itinerary.

You miss Swellendam that way, unfortunately. It really is a gorgeous little town, but hope you'll come back.

I would recommend staying one night in the Winelands though - Franschoek probably, on your way to Cape Town...

My off the beaten track recommendations:

Visit Moooi on Jam Street in Oudtshoorn

Ronnie's Sex Shop (not what you think!) on the R62

Eat at La Petite Ferme in Franschoek

Stay at Kensington Place, Welgelegen or Manna Bay in Cape Town.

Eat at The Test Kitchen in the Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town.

Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help with anything further...

Happy travels!

x

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

I would fly from Johannesburg-George and then drive to Cape Town. George is only about a 30 minute drive from Knsyna so you save a lot of time. In Knysna we always enjoy staying at the Belvidere Manor: http://www.belvidere.co.za/ in one of the lagoon cottages. This hotel is on the outskirts of Knysna but in a stunning location.

Our other favourit is to stay in Wilderness in the Cinnamon Geusthouse: http://www.cinnamonhouse.co.za/. Location great you can for long walks on the beach, it is closer to drive to Oudtshoorn and Knsyna is about 20 minutes away. The hospitality in this place is absolutely superb with beautiful room.

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

Thanks for all your help guys!

You have been a massive help, I will no doubt be back on here to finalise the our plans, cant wait to get out of rainy Edinburgh in December and enjoy SA summer..

J

9. Re: Cape town and the Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route