We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden route George to Cape Town by Bus / coach - Scenic?

Harrow, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Garden route George to Cape Town by Bus / coach - Scenic?

Hi all,

i am planning to go to Ousdstroom just outside George for a wedding, and afterwards am thinking of getting a Coach / Bus along the Garden route to cape town. I could fly, but have been told the main reason people take the bus is because of the scenery alone the way. I am not sure I want to spend days stopping off along the way, and think I will do the coach drive in one go. I am just wondering what the scenery is actually like, and whether me just getting the coach along it is going to be worth it instead of flying. I realise there are attractions along the way, but I'm not sure I want to spend days stopping and going to lots of them.

I will stay in cape Town for a few days however, and would like some recommendations on thing s to do, reasonable places to stay, and any tips. I will probably do Robben Island and Table mountain, and was considering the soccer stadium if that is possible, but am open to suggestions of things I have not thought of. Any reviews . experiences of the cape town hostels? or are the B&Bs better? nice nifty restaurants? I am not on a Five star budget, but if the places are reasonable i will consider them, many thanks.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden route George to Cape Town by Bus / coach - Scenic?

Well a good idea - and a not so good idea!

The Bus is a lot cheaper than flying. One way Oudtshoorn to Cape Town is R279 on Intercape (one of the better bus lines - spacious and comfortable). It will cost you more than this to get to George Airport - and then the flight is around R950 one way.

But after that a few issues. Oudtshoorn is not really "just outside George". It is over 60km across a rather high mountain range, and actually in a different climatic region! As I say to get to George or the Airport will be quite an expensive ride - either by taxi or a transfer arranged by your accommodation. There are no buses to the airport - see below.

Then if you travel from Oudtshoorn to George and then to Cape Town you don't travel on the "Garden Route". This starts at George and is East from here. To Cape Town you travel West. For this whole trip you would only have a view of the sea for a few kms around Mossel Bay and as you come over Sir Lowry's Pass in towards Cape Town. The rest is quite pleasant scenery ........

HOWEVER. The only daily bus from Oudtshoorn to Cape Town picks up at Oudtshoorn at 22:25 at night and arrives in Cape Town at 6:40am next morning. You are not going to see much scenery on that trip! Although you would save yourself a night's hotel accomodation!

If you could get by some other way to George, then, depending on the actual date, you might be able to find a bus which travels during the day. Three or four options, although most of the bus routes also cover the George to Cape Town section overnight. Here is the website which covers bookings for all the major Intercity Bus Lines. Check on your proposed travel date - Oudtshoorn to Cape Town and George to Cape Town :

http://online.computicket.com/web/bus_tickets

I suggest that you post your Cape Town questions in a separate thread - after you have read through the many threads which probably answer your questions. Not really directly to do with the heading.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 16:13
2. Re: Garden route George to Cape Town by Bus / coach - Scenic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route