We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Topic
Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

Hi all....

I am travelling to Cape Town and Garden Route in May 2014. I request for your kind advice on the driving route and recommended lunch stop on the route from Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay. Any update on the current road conditions on N2 and likely driving time would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot..

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,028 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay is about 500Km.

A conservative estimate of driving time is 6 hours, but probably closer to 7 hours.

Lunch?

Maybe Swellendam, at about 200Km from Stellenbosch,

or Mossel Bay, about 360 from Stellenbosch.

I have not driven the N2 recently, but I would expect road conditions to be good......... others may know more

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

Yes, it is just about 500 km from Stellenbosch to Plett and is about a five and half hour drive (without stops). However, if you want a drive that takes you through some spectacular scenery you could take the R44 out of Stellenbosch to the N1 and then head to Worcester through the Huguenot Tunnel. Alternatively, you could turn off the N1 at Paarl and take the R101 over Du Toits Pass and rejoin the N1 just after the Tunnel. At Worcester turn onto the R60 to Swellendam and then take the N2 to Plett.

Without taking the R101 over DuToits Pass, the drive should be about the same distance and time. If you did drive over Du Toits, then the drive would be about 6 hours.

One thing to watch out for on the N2 are the speed cameras on the Kaaimans River Pass between George and Wilderness. There are two different speed limits depending on which lane you are in.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

When you leave Stellenbosch head for Franschhoek & then Villiersdorp. The drive over the mountains is spectacular. Then head for Robertson & pick up Route 62 through Montagu & on to Oudtshoorn. Drop down onto the N2 for Plett.

It will take a little longer but it's a much prettier drive. For lunch I strongly recommend a stop in Calitzdorp where you can also taste some fine ports.

New Delhi, India
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Its quite a long drive n i have a small kiddo. So I guess id have to take the straight route. I'm planning on the N1 upto Worcester - Swellendam - Plett, as suggested above. Hope the road conditions on N1 are good enough to maintain an avg of about 100 kph.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

To nicmeljones, I agree that the scenery on the route which you have suggested is quite spectacular and is one that the OP should consider. Personally, I would consider it because the road between Oudtshoorn and George includes the Outeniqua Pass

However, the route suggested is over 560 kms and at least a 7 hour drive without stops. With rest and fuel stops, plus the stops to take some photographs of the scenery and the sights (such as the fort at Montagu or Ronnies Sex Shop on R62) this could easily turn into a 9 or 10 hour drive.

A fourth possibility is to drive through Montagu on the R62 to Barrydale and then turn right onto the R324 and drive over Tradouw Pass and then turn onto the R322 to Heidelberg and then join the N2 through to Plett. Again, I should point out that this is not the shortest route to take. It is about 530 kms and with rest stops, fuel stops and time to enjoy the scenery, it would take about 8 hours to drive.

6. Re: Stellenbosch to Plettenberg Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Garden Route