We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

We are beginning to plan a trip to Copper Canyon. What are the best times of the year to visit? Also what's the best mode of transportaion to get there? We live on the East Coast.

Thanks

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

Not July, Aug, Sept. That's the rainy season. Plus, it's been known to snow as late as March. Not good in the mountains.

There is no cheap and easy way to get there. Best route is probably to fly to Chihuaha City and take the train from there. It's all on the internet.

We've been going to Creel on mission trips for years now, from Wisconsin. Cost is an issue for us. We are flying to El Paso and having a van from Chihuahua pick us up there and take us to Creel and back.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,138 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

I'm a tour guide who does this trip all the time. Collettevacations.com and others have packages all set up if you want all the details arranged ahead of time. There are lots of companies that offer this trip, and they usually always use the same hotels etc. Caravan is also one of the largest, but they tend to send the group without a leader so if there is a problem no one is there to run interference.

Denver
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

If you want to see the waterfalls with any water in them, (there won't even be a tour to Basasiachi if there's not enough water) you need to go during the rainy season toward the end of July and beginning of August. I took the train from El Fuerte out of Los Mochis. I wouldn't stay in Mochis (expensive, dirty, and you need to catch the train too early). El Fuerte is great!! Hotel Guerrero in the centro is clean, quaint, and cheap - about 16 bucks. Catch the second class train around 10:00 am outside of town. No real difference between first and second class, except the dining car is nicer and the fare is twice as much ($50 as opposes to $25) Seats all recline, but I hung out taking pictures through the canyon between cars. Stay at Hotel Margaritas in Creel. Cost me $20 with breakfast an dinner (all you can eat and excellent home cooking) included. Sign-up for 1 of 6 tours each day and cost about $12 dollars unless it was a two day tour, then about $25. Have fun!! One of the best trips ever in Mexico. Have a family that adopted me in El Fuerte and have seen them several times!!

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

Hi ya, sounds beautiful, can I ask:

How did you book your train journey? and how far south does the train line stretches to? I was wondering if I could get all the way down to veracruz.

Thank you so much!

Sioux Falls, Sd
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

I am going to buck conventional wisdom and recommend late summer, since the mostly gentle rains make the area VERY green and beautiful, and the waterfalls flow. Since the canyon rims are at high elevation, the temperatures are moderated, although the western lowlands like El Fuerte can be darn hot!

I would recommend against May or June, since before the rains begin those months can be very dusty.

the conventional wisdom says october or november are best, and they are indeed nice, but also when most people come to visit!

AS for where to start from the East coast, i would say generally el paso/chihuahua, but keep in mind that starting point is furthest away from the best part of the train ride, adding 6-8 hours if you want to see that....

Everything else being equal, start in the west (fly into mochis, stay in El Fuerte) for the best use of your time, best scenery, etc.

fyi, i live in el fuerte when not traveling, and have done dozens of trips to the canyon.

milwaukee, wisocnsin
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

Late October is probably a safe time. Remember you are in CANYONS AND ON CANYON RIMS. temps range from 30F at nite to 100F IN cities like ELFUERTE, IT IS HOT.I TOOK THE TRAIN FROM CREEL AND THE BUS FROM CHIHUAHUA TO CREEL. A VERY BEAUTIFUL RIDE AND SAVES THE CASH. TAXIS FROM THE AIRPORT TO CHIHUAHUA DOWNTOWN ARE SAFE!! As there is a taxi stand with zone travel prices. Real easy going. I woud book with Nichols Travel. Probably fly to Houston on Continental, that is what I did.

7. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2006, 20:38
Richmond, California
Level Contributor
56 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

I plan to do a 6 day trip on my own in January. It will be colder but I want to avoid the hoards of tourists that frequent during the high seasons. And the rices are better.

Sioux Falls, Sd
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best months to visit Copper Canyon and Tranportation

january is a fine time to visit the canyon, but do not expect much better prices, if at all--hotel owners in the canyon are not known to negotiate very much!

Get answers to your questions about Copper Canyon