We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Trip Advisors,

I'm planning a one week trip to SMA for my 50th birthday. Can anyone tell me if I can obtain cell phone service in SMA by purchasing a prepaid SIM card after I arrive and then installing it in my unlocked GSM phone? If yes, does anyone know where I can purchase the SIM card in SMA? Muchas gracias.

NYC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Mexico uses the 1900 freq. band which I'm sure you have on your phone. Have you tried your phone with another sim? We have unlocked phones that worked fine in SMA. There are numerous kiosk's (TELMEX) in centro and around town. They sell a starter card with a number and 15 minutes. You can add to it as you go. You do have a certain amount of time to use your minutes or they expire. Hope this helps.

NM

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
toronto
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

would it be more economical to buy a "throw away" phone to use while there? We'll be there 2 months. We've bought the "minutes card" there before and it's a good bargain - but we had a land phone at our rental. Where can you buy a "throw away" phone and how much would it cost?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Hi Neuroman,

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to hear that a SIM card should work with my unlocked GSM phone in San Miguel. I can't seem to locate information in my documentation about whether my phone's compatible with the 1900 freq. band used in San Miguel, but I was able to use a Tesco Mobile SIM card in the phone in Great Britain last month with no problems. Also, should I look for a stand alone Telmex kiosk to buy a SIM card in San Miguel or will it be inside a certain type of store? Any guidance is welcome.

Many thanks,

benbobbi

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
954 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

What model of phone do you have?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

jcs27, I have a HP iPAQ hw6945. It's a combined handheld phone/e-mail/pda type gadget. I use it mostly for offline organizing my calendar and tasks.

NYC
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Your phone has 850/900/1800/1900 freq and will work fine providing it is unlocked as you stated.

NM

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

Muchas gracias por la ayuda!

benbobbi

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

The main cell phone provider in Mexico is Telcel not Telmex (that’s for land lines, although both are owned by Carlos Slim). I use a quad band Nokia phone with prepaid cards and a Telcel sim. There are countless outlets around town: just look for the Telcel sign.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
9. Re: Using unlocked GSM cell phone in SMA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 19:22