We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee in SMA

Which San Miguel de Allende hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Coffee in SMA

After an exhaustingly long drive to SMA I know our first task will be to buy coffee for the casita. On another forum a poster had recommended El Viejo Topo on Sterling Dickinson 28, Col. San Antonio.

Is this walking distance from centro? Would like to keep all our errand runs within a morning walk for the time we're there and park the car except for day trips.

thanks

p2

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee in SMA

I would bring your fav (whole bean).

It's a long, flat walk to Sterling Dickinson, but certainly doable - don't know their coffee. Plenty of parking near there.

M

Sherman Oaks CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee in SMA

Bonanza Market, a short walk from the Jardin, is our source for Garat coffee. We're fussy about our coffee, and were very pleased with this. Bonanza is also the source of fantastic yoghurt. The peach flavor is out of this world.

Mikemo, can you help with the name of the street that Bonanza is on? We are street-name-challenged in San Miguel. We know how to get places, but can't tell anyone else!

northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee in SMA

Thanks, Sormy... I know Bonanza from my first trip last Feb; believe it's Mesones. That will be lots nearer, Mikemo, though the shop on Sterling sounds intriguing. The poster described many varieties and I'd like to sample some good Mex coffee.

santa cruz...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee in SMA

Hi Papillon2!! within very easy walking distance of where you are staying is Casa de Cafe on Hospicio at Recreo. The owner, and my friend, Marisela, operated the cafe at the hotel on Hidalgo, which is now closed. A year or so ago in a coffee bean discussion it was recommended - not by me as I don't buy beans in SMA. Marisela told me, in April this year, she would be selling the same beans when she reopened her cafe. I haven't been to the new location as it opened just a couple of months ago.

If you go in and Marisela is there, please tell her Lena said "hola".

buen viaje, saludos, mariados

northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee in SMA

Thanks for your suggestion, including NY, L.

p2

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee in SMA

Papillon, Mariposa, the best coffee in SMA for me is the one in La Ventanita, they have cinnamonn and everything! It is near Hospicio, don t remember the name of the street but please go.....It is just beside the Peluqueria El Pipila, regards for you and your dogs, I have a new dog (Finna Stephanie, she s not a Papillon but she s beautiful!!!!)

SNow White in desguise today!

northeast corridor
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee in SMA

Hola Snowflake!

Tell me, what are you disguised as? And did you costume that cute little guy in the photo... who may be a lot bigger now!

Mariposa, a.k.a. papillon

PS I think all pups are beautiful! I never met a dog I didn't like.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee in SMA

Ha, I am a coffee lover papillon, now I have Starbucks in Lima Peru so I am thrilled. I know that gringos don t like SB but I loooove it. I am with a big red mouth of a Rolling Stone in my head and my kids are pirates of the caribbean! And the dog is 2 months but next year , she will be with a witch hat, ha ha. Good luck with your coffee!! PS, I have tried tons of coffees in Queretaro and I did NOT like it......La ventanita is better! Best of luck !

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee in SMA

Casa de Cafe is highly regarded, but they have to pay for their mid five figure machine.

I have been told that lo mejor is available in Mega (molido) and the same at Juan's (en grano) on Reloj just N of the Biblioteca on the East side.

It's quite good, but I have forgotton the Brand name.

Costco used to have artisanal MX coffees from the three major coffee states, but I only seen their "MX house blend" in the last year or more - not too shabby for about US$7./kg.

Guatemala Antigua is my fav.

We are currently using San Francisco Bay French Roast.

M

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee in SMA

I second Mikemo's recommendation of Juan's (Cafe Etc.) coffee.

Get answers to your questions about San Miguel de Allende